This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Potato Cheese Soup Question

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

So, here's a recipe I found online.  I need your opinion.... steps 3 & 4.... do I drain before pureeing?

Ingredients

* 8 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
    * 2 cups peeled and chopped onions
    * 4 cups chopped celery
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 4 cups half-and-half
    * 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
    * 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    * 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, garnish (optional)

Directions

1.      Place potatoes, onions, celery and salt in water to cover in a large pot.
   2.      Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
   3.      Puree just until chunky in blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade.
   4.      Return to soup pot; add half-and-half, butter and cheese.

5.      Stirring, simmer until piping hot. (Do not boil.).
   6.      Presentation:
   7.      Garnish with parsley if desired. Good served with cornbread.

Squid

Good question.  If you drain the water, what makes it soup?  Four cups of cream just ain't gonna do it.  I don't think you drain.  Am I wrong?  Also, if you're keeping the water, I might substitute some broth or stock for the water. 

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Squid on December 30, 2008, 05:49:08 PM
Good question.  If you drain the water, what makes it soup?  Four cups of cream just ain't gonna do it.  I don't think you drain.  Am I wrong?  Also, if you're keeping the water, I might substitute some broth or stock for the water. 

Thanks... this is a Marie Callendar's recipe so I want to stick with water because that's the way the family loves it! 

Stinkerbell

Ok, the soup was good, I thought (lets say 3.5/5.0) ... but here's the thing.  My daughter said it was too oniony, my husband said there wasn't enough cheese.  So we added more cheese, then my daughter said it was too cheesy.  It was too runny, so I think I would remove some of the water, but not all, next time.
And it really didn't taste even close to the Marie Callendars recipe.  Like I said, it wasn't bad, just not a YUMMO recipe.  Although, I think it would GREAT in something like a veggie casserole.  I am going to try it with the leftovers.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview