PlayBuddy
May 01, 2024, 09:08:36 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Quinn's Aquarium : Collect 60 pairs of Shell Tiles this week! [Download Cheat]
Crossword Cove HD : Solve 65 down words without using hints this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Ice Cream Cone Cake

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

For cake and cones

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
   * 1 tablespoon baking powder
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
   * 3 sticks (3/4 pound) unsalted butter, softened
   * 1 3/4 cups sugar
   * 4 large eggs at room temperature 30 minutes
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
   * 1 1/2 cups whole milk
   * 7 flat-bottomed wafer cones

For custard buttercream

* 1 1/2 cups whole milk
   * 9 large egg yolks
   * 3/4 cup sugar
   * 1/4 teaspoon salt
   * 3 1/2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao if marked), chopped
   * 6 sticks (1 1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
   * 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
   * 2 cups coarsely crushed 2-inch chocolate wafers (28 small cookies)

* Equipment: 2 (8- by 2-inch) round cake pans; a small offset spatula; 2 large pastry bags each fitted with 1/3-inch star tip

Make cake and cones:
Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Butter pans. Line bottoms with parchment, then butter and lightly flour pans.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.

Beat butter with sugar using an electric mixer (paddle attachment for a stand mixer) at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer or 10 with a handheld. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla, and beat until thoroughly incorporated, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 4 batches alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until batter is just smooth.

Stand cones, open ends up, in a 12-cup muffin pan and fill cones two-thirds full with batter. Divide remaining batter between cake pans.

Bake cones in upper third of oven and cakes in lower third until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 15 to 22 minutes for cones, 25 to 35 minutes for cakes. Cool cakes 5 minutes in pans on a large rack and transfer cones to another rack to cool completely. Invert cakes onto rack and cool completely.

Make buttercream:
Bring milk just to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk together yolks, sugar, and salt in a bowl until combined well, then add milk in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Transfer to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard thickens and registers 175°F on an instant-read thermometer, 5 to 10 minutes (do not let boil). Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 1 hour.

Melt chocolate, then cool to warm.

Beat butter with cleaned beaters (whisk attachment if using stand mixer) at high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes in a stand mixer or 4 with a handheld. Reduce speed to medium and gradually pour in cold custard. Add vanilla and increase speed to high, then beat until buttercream is smooth, about 2 minutes in a stand mixer or 4 with a handheld.

Transfer 1 1/4 cups buttercream to a bowl and stir in warm melted chocolate to make chocolate buttercream. Transfer about 2 cups vanilla buttercream to another bowl and fold in crushed wafers to make cookies-and-cream filling.

Assemble cake:
Halve cakes horizontally with a large serrated knife. Put 1 cake layer, cut side up, on a cake stand or plate and, using offset spatula, spread top with 1 cup cookies-and-cream buttercream. Top with another cake layer, cut side down, and spread with 1 cup cookies-and-cream buttercream. Top with another cake layer, cut side up, and spread with remaining cookies-and-cream buttercream. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread side and top of cake with about 2 1/2 cups vanilla buttercream (total).

Spoon chocolate buttercream and remaining vanilla buttercream into separate pastry bags.

Halve each cone lengthwise with serrated knife. Attach cones (flat sides) to side of cake with tops of cones touching. (You will have an extra cone in case one gets damaged.)

Holding pastry bag filled with vanilla buttercream vertically over cake, pipe about 2 tablespoons buttercream on top of every other cone (touching top of cake) to resemble soft-serve ice cream. Pipe chocolate buttercream on top of remaining cones in same manner.

Cooks' notes: · Cake and cones can be baked 1 day ahead and kept, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
· To quick-chill custard for vanilla buttercream, set in an ice bath and stir until cold, about 5 minutes.
· Vanilla buttercream (without chocolate and cookies) can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature and beat before using.
· We used Ateco 824 star tips for our cake. If you have only 1 pastry bag and tip, pipe vanilla buttercream first, and then chocolate.

swamp

jarjar

OMG I could never make something like that. So therefore Stinky you can make me one and send it via overnite Fedex. I will be waiting. magnifier.gif
Oh guess you going to tell me you need my credit card   tease.gif

Stinkerbell

Quote from: jarjar on June 04, 2009, 04:08:21 PM
OMG I could never make something like that. So therefore Stinky you can make me one and send it via overnite Fedex. I will be waiting. magnifier.gif
Oh guess you going to tell me you need my credit card   tease.gif

I can't make that, are you nuts? I'm just trying to get my post count up so I can be teal, too.

disneyland lady

That is too cute and actually looks far easier than trying to decorate a cake. I bet it would be really cute for a birthday cake.

jarjar

Quote from: Stinkerbell on June 04, 2009, 04:49:43 PM
I can't make that, are you nuts? I'm just trying to get my post count up so I can be teal, too.
giggle2.gif Silly lady nono.gif

Stinkerbell

Decorated the way they are, the little cones remind me of Olympic torches.

love2cook

TheLastDodo

That Looks Amazing! I Would Love To Have That !
-Thanks For Sharing!

-DoDo♥

twinkle6590

I just want to be a rank 2 cheater. i believe i am getting close. but i could be wrong.

snowflower

girls22.gif Stinkerbell ... omg that looks just scrumptious!  YUMMY!!  Thanks for sharing  love30.gif

Joe C

I would never post just to get my count higher, especially right after Stinkerbell. giggle2.gif

How many more until 10,000? tumbsup.gif
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Joe C on July 19, 2009, 09:02:23 PM
I would never post just to get my count higher, especially right after Stinkerbell. giggle2.gif

How many more until 10,000? tumbsup.gif

Perhaps you don't care if you're something less than teal. I, on the other hand, want to be teal. This is, afterall, America; land of the free and home of the brave and teal colored cheater ranks, too.   giggle2.gif

embrace.gif

C~M

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 16, 2009, 02:59:01 PM
I just want to be a rank 2 cheater. i believe i am getting close. but i could be wrong.

I just want to post to post...lol...Need rank 9 cheater soon...

twinkle6590

I post my posts to posts that are posted so i can post something on that post so i have posted... are you confused yet???   hysterical.gif

Joe C

Quote from: twinkle6590 on July 20, 2009, 07:32:43 AM
I post my posts to posts that are posted so i can post something on that post so i have posted... are you confused yet???   hysterical.gif
Makes perfect sense to me. tumbsup.gif
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview