PlayBuddy
May 01, 2024, 07:52:37 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Quinn's Aquarium : Collect 60 pairs of Shell Tiles this week! [Download Cheat]
Crossword Cove HD : Solve 65 down words without using hints this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Guitar legend-inventor Les Paul dies at age 94

Started by Hocky,

Previous topic - Next topic

Hocky

Les Paul, the guitar virtuoso and inventor who revolutionized music and created rock 'n' roll as surely as Elvis Presley and the Beatles by developing the solid-body electric guitar and multitrack recording, died Thursday at age 94.

Known for his lightning-fast leads, Paul performed with some of early pop's biggest names and produced a slew of hits, many with wife MaryMary Fordr his lightning-fast leads, Paul performed with some of early pop's biggest names and produced a slew of hits, many with wife Mary Ford. But it was his inventive streak that made him universally revered by guitar gods as their original ancestor and earned his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as one of the most important forces in popular music.

Paul, who died in White Plains, N.Y., of complications from pneumonia, was a tireless tinkerer, whose quest for a particular sound led him to create the first solid-body electric guitar, a departure from the hollow-body guitars of the time. His invention paved the way for modern rock 'n' roll and became the standard instrument for legends like Pete Townshend and Jimmy Page.

He also developed technology that would become hallmarks of rock and pop recordings, from multitrack recording that allowed for layers and layers of "overdubs" to guitar reverb and other sound effects.

"He was truly the cornerstone of popular music," said Henry Juskiewicz, chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar, which mass produced Paul's original invention. "He was futurist, and unlike some futurists who write about it and predict things, he was guy who actually did things."

disneyland lady

This was a man that made do and would "git it done". A quote I heard about him: "When I got my first guitar my fingers wouldn't go to the sixth string so I took off the big E and played with just five strings. I was only 6 or 7."

RIP wonderful craftsman.

Stinkerbell

My dad had a gorgeous Les Paul electric when I was a kid. And when he (dad) wasn't drunk and beating me, he would play it for hours. It was one of my few fond childhood memories. He had to sell it when times got tough and I remember it broke his heart to have to do so.

Squid

Quote from: Stinkerbell on August 15, 2009, 10:35:29 PM
My dad had a gorgeous Les Paul electric when I was a kid. And when he (dad) wasn't drunk and beating me, he would play it for hours. It was one of my few fond childhood memories. He had to sell it when times got tough and I remember it broke his heart to have to do so.

(((((((Stinky)))))))  You are loved.

snowflower

girls22.gif

You sure are heart1.gif stinky heart1.gif

disneyland lady

((stinker)) I too had an abusive father and we were happy that he was either partying or in jail. I couldn't wait to confront him as an adult but then he fell off a ladder and was braindamaged. I have actual anger about him falling and not allowing me to do that confrontation. But at least I did not perpetuate the situation by beating my kids although I do admit to partying. The jail thing will catch up with me one of these days probably.

Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell

Quote from: disneyland lady on August 22, 2009, 07:01:06 AM
((stinker)) I too had an abusive father and we were happy that he was either partying or in jail. I couldn't wait to confront him as an adult but then he fell off a ladder and was braindamaged. I have actual anger about him falling and not allowing me to do that confrontation. But at least I did not perpetuate the situation by beating my kids although I do admit to partying. The jail thing will catch up with me one of these days probably.

I never had to really confront him because when I was in my 20's, he came to me and apologized, with tears, for the things he did. He told me that I never did anything to deserve his treatment and that he was truly sorry.  It's hard to stay angry with him because he is a different/changed man. Doesn't drink, tries to be a good person.

But it's still very hard sometimes. Like yesterday my daughter was saying how when we were at B&N the other day, we ran into my dad. He went up to my daughter at the register and, in front of the cashier he asked her "You have a boyfriend yet? If not I'm available." Of course he was joking but the cashier was stunned. It was actually funny... until....

****Downer Story Alert-Procede at your own risk****
You know how things come together to make you remember something? Well, boyfriend and dad reminded me of the time that my dad tossed my boyfriend out of the house and then proceded to wrap his hands around my throat and was choking me. And how pathetic was I? I was afraid to try and make him stop. And even worse? My mom was sitting there watching him and never said a word.  I guess I'm lucky he stopped, huh?

So even when you think you have it all in check, and when you're least expecting it, it can still come back and haunt you.

And still, I have such fond memories of Les Paul and in a really dumb way when I heard he died, it seemed like part of my childhood died too.

I hope that you're ok and that someday, in some way you'll have your chance to confront him, if not in this life then in the next.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview