PlayBuddy
April 18, 2024, 10:21:27 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Garden Blast : Use 120 rockets or rocket power-up combos this week! [Download Cheat]
World Class Solitaire HD : Place 200 cards into the foundation stacks this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

MMA/UFC

Started by ashleyduh,

Previous topic - Next topic

ashleyduh

Do any of you watch this? I am pretty excited for the Strikeforce "Heavyweight Grand Prix" that starts on the 12th. I am pulling for Overeem over all.
I am not all that excited for the UFC 127 card, not even sure I will tune in for it. Jon Fitch. yawn.gif

snap20

Almost always watch Strikeforce on Showtime. I generally don't have any "favorites" just like to see a good match. About the only "fav" i have is Herschel Walker, I just think it's amazing a guy that's 48 years old can simply dominate in a sport like this. lol

The Grand Prix should be pretty interesting though...

ashleyduh

Yes, It is crazy how old Walker is and is just starting out. Strikeforce was lucky to get him before the UFC nabbed him as a short term money maker only to discard him a year later.  giggle2.gif
My favorite fighter overall is Nick Diaz, he is in Strikeforce.

snap20

Strikeforce was lucky, indeed.

I guess my favorite fighters to watch right now would be Ovince St. Preux, KJ Noons and Justin Wilcox. I'm a big boxing fan too, so like watching Noons as he's really a boxer first, kickboxer second then MMA fighter. lol

ashleyduh

It is crazy how he keeps switching sports. I think he might have gone back to boxing momentarily after EXC disbanded, but I'm not too sure. I know it seemed like he was MIA for awhile. I admittedly don't know a whole lot about boxing, but Nick Diaz is supposed to be doing some pro-boxing matches this year. There is a lot of talk about him boxing Fernando Vargas, I think this just seems like a really really horrible career move for Diaz.

snap20

Diaz is a good boxer, but I agree with you that it would be a bad move on his part. I don't think he would make more money boxing either...as you can't fight as often because the healing and training time is very different. He can fight more often in MMA even if he gets paid a little less per fight. That's weird that he would go from MMA to boxing though...boxing as a sport is struggling big time unless your name is Pacquiao. lol

ashleyduh

He still plans on fighting MMA as well. I think he is doing it for the money even though he made $150,000 on his fight against Cyborg. I guess there really isn't much competition for him in Strikeforce at welterweight. I think it seems like a bad idea for any guy to go from MMA to boxing. No matter how good the guy is at boxing in MMA, I find it hard to believe it will be as good against a pro boxer. Oh, we shall see!! I guess he did outbox KJ in their last fight.

Diaz vs Pacquiao 2011...I see it already. Right after Pacquiao vs Mayweather.  giggle2.gif

snap20

It is true there really isn't much competition for Diaz...lol. He's a beast.

Pacquiao/Mayweather...only if Mayweather stays out of jail. Grrrr. I wish that fight would happen (along with every other boxing fan in the world). lol.

snap20

That was one heck of a start to the Grand Prix! Fedor just couldn't handle Silva's size. Once Silva was on top, it was pretty much over.

That Griggs fight was a great one too. Love seeing two guys just go after it.

ashleyduh

I was shocked to read later how many people said the stoppage for Fedor was a bad call. The guy's eye was completely swollen shut and the fight had been pretty one sided the whole time. It is kind of sad to see someone who is held on such a pedestal topple off of it...twice in a row! I sure wish I had bet money on that fight, the people who bet for Silva are rolling in it right now. I do hope Fedor doesn't retire though. I think he will still be a fine fighter at LHW, assuming he could even make 205, but he is just so small for the HW division.

I thought Sergei was going to win, but I didn't think it would be such a fast KO. I like Arlovski as a fighter, and it's too bad you can't train to get a better chin, guess his beard isn't enough cushioning.

The Griggs fight was great! I think there should be a fight like that on every card, where it doesn't even look like MMA so much as a street fight. Who really needs the technicalities of fighting anyways right?

I feel safe saying that this Strikeforce card was much better than the last UFC card. Can't wait to hear Dana White call the card a bunch of mismatches...like he does every time Strikeforce has a good card.

Also, another side note about the show. The commentators seemed more obnoxious than normal. It's sometimes embarrassing to have to hear them make fools of themselves! Dan Miragoliotta is by far one of my least favorite refs, all the confusion after the Fedor fight was stopped would have been cleared up quicker had he just told each side it was over and not waited around for them to just figure it out.
rolleyes.gif

snap20

That fight had to be stopped, because of that eye. Anyone that says it shouldn't have been...well I question their intelligence. lol. It would have been stopped in boxing too. The ref should have come over, covered his good eye and asked him how many fingers. If he can't see them, he can't fight. It was too bad though, I would have liked to see round 3 to see if Fedor could have mounted a comeback. That was awesome when he had Silva's ankle and Silva just started waving his finger. I had to crack up at that one.

Sounds like Arlovski should be finished with fighting? 4 KOs in a row? and he was completely out last night...at some point the doctors have to step in and say no more.

As for the commentators...I've always hated Mauro Ranallo. he does that fake "announcer voice" and it's absurdly obvious. I've heard him make a mistake and use his real voice once, and it was laughable how high his voice really is. He wouldn't bother me as much if he'd just talk normally. And his line about the national anthem at the Super Bowl? wtf was that? Just terrible. lol

I don't know any of the refs really by name, except for John McCarthy, but yeah he didn't seem to make it very clear that the fight was over. Pretty poor work by him for that and for not checking Fedor's eyesight.

ashleyduh

Sometimes I think MMA fans want to see a fighter fight til death. To be honest though, his eye didn't look any worse than Josh Koschecks in his fight against GSP. I don't know if you watch the UFC or not, but it seems like fights are less likely to be stopped in there for some reason. I think the Koscheck fight should have been stopped to honestly.

You're right about Arlovski, I think it is time for him to bow out gracefully (well, as gracefully as you can with a 4 fight lose streak) instead of becoming like Chuck Liddell and keep coming back just because you can't swallow your pride and call it quits.

The National Anthem comment was the one that did me in too! At that moment I was like, oh my gosh...he has got to be kidding. Dan Miragoliotta has got a lot of slack for some of the stuff he does in the ring. They have Youtube videos dedicated to him screwing up.

snap20

I really wish the ref would have done the vision test, that would have squashed any question about stopping the fight. It looked completely closed to me, which means automatic stop in my opinion. That's the one area of injuries I think should automatically stop a fight...not being able to see with one eye. But I guess we don't know for sure if he couldn't see. lol. I don't watch UFC at all...it's almost always all pay-per-view. And while I do shell out for Showtime because I like a lot of their programming, I won't shell out $50+ for an MMA fight.

Good to know about that ref though...now I'll know what to expect next time I see him in the cage. lol

ashleyduh

I watch live streams of UFC for free, I do the same with Strikeforce. I don't even own a TV, I just watch everything online.

I can't wait for the moment they make elbows illegal in all of MMA. I feel like a lot of fights get stopped because of elbow cuts, and that kinda sucks.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview