Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Philip Seymour Hoffman dead at the age of 46

Started by snap20,

Previous topic - Next topic

snap20

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/philip-seymour-hoffman-dead-at-age-46/

One of my favorite actors...incredibly talented. Too bad to see him go so young..and because of something so preventable/stupid as drug use.  6_6.gif

Squid

I was shocked to read this earlier today.  I thought him so talented.  I'm amazed at how drugs take so many of our artists.  RIP - PSH. 

disneyland lady

I first noticed him in Twister and have loved him since. What really bothers me about all of this is the message to the youth that drugs give you a power/feeling that you cannot get any other way - not with a successful career, not being loved or having little children that love you, not by adoring fans, not by money. And that message is true.

The one time I ever took a white powder (not heroin) back in the 80s, I still remember how for the first time in my life I felt in control of things. I felt none of the awfulness of regular life, the stress of performing, the odd man out feeling and thankfully it scared the bejezus out of me. I knew that if I ever did it again I would be in my "comfort" place and would not care about anything that I loved - not my family, not my work, not anything else but wanting that feeling. I lost a bunch of friends that sobering day but saved my own life.

So I completely understand why someone as talented as Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Kurt Cobain, Corey Monteith, Elvis, John Belushi, Heath Ledger, Jim Morrison and so, so many others go to the heavy duty stuff. It makes them feel in control. Those stars that have "everything" and are using are not doing it to "feel better". Putting them in a re-hab is not going to correct this. Counseling them that they are good enough, or rich enough or have people who care does not fix this. I think we need to spend more money on studying - perhaps using the monetary fines - to see what we can do to help us feel in control of our life without using a straw, pipe or needle. Let's find a way to make these senseless deaths mean something.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview