This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Weird IE error

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

This old laptop of mine, which happens to be on life support, is giving me the following error when trying to play certain games (e.g. Pinochle).  I only have IE and Chrome on this laptop and we all know the problems Chrome has with the Java games.  Now I can't play some games using IE due to this error.  I am resistant to installing another browser due to the laptop's inability to deal with much more.  This does not happen on other computers with IE.  Has anyone seen this error before and does anyone have any suggestions?  I have IE 11.  Thanks in advance.

Mayhem

According to the link below, they want you to install or upgrade your Java.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2506617
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

I did that just a few days ago and verified that I have the latest, greatest version.  It might be the laptop... it really should be put on hospice.  :(

Thank you, Mayhem  embrace.gif

C~M

In Pogo News Somewhere:

Java Issues

Three games that I play quite often, Pinochle, Aces Up and World Class Solitaire are not coming up since I upgraded Java.  It asks me each time if I want to run Java and I already have it on my computer.

Editor – There have been some recent compatibility problems with Java 8.6 on the Internet Explorer browser. Currently, the best work-around we know of is to use the Firefox browser. We continue to work with our Engineering and QA  teams to make a more permanent working solution.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Also a link to a different news article: http://news.pogo.com/java-8-6-workaround-in-internet-explorer-11/

Yes I know Java is now newer than 8.6, but probably having same issues = same fix.

Squid

Thank you!  Maybe it's a combo of my poor, ailing laptop and compatibility issues on Pogo?  All my puters have the latest Java but I only have a problem on the ol' laptop.  I may get brave and try uninstalling IE and installing Firefox.  I can't imagine it will be able to take it.  It's getting to the point that rebooting the laptop causes all sorts of problems.  I just put it to sleep but don't reboot lately.  Its days are numbered but I love it so!

disneyland lady

Have you removed ALL java and reinstalled? I know I had a corrupt download once that was finally resolved by doing this.

Squid

I'll give it a shot, Dis, TY.  When I tried to use IE to, once again, verify my Java, I got the same error message as shown in the first post of this thread.  LOL, if I'm getting errors because of the java, going to the java page should help, unless, of course, I get the same error message!   Is this an infinite loop paradox?

PissedOffPumpkin

I get that same message sometimes in IE on my brand new(ish) laptop. I also use FF, so when it happens, I close IE for a while, and when I reopen, it works again.

In advance, allow me to offer my condolences on the upcoming loss of your laptop. I loved my li'l HP so much I wanted to have its HPlets. Then it died. One bit after another - it died. I kept using it to the bitter end, working around each new failure. In the end I had a keyboard plugged into it so I could boot. I'm sorry, little Cube, but you are not half the laptop my HP was.

sigh

I have depressed myself.  6_6.gif

Squid

Quote from: PissedOffPumpkin on April 14, 2016, 10:35:39 PM

In advance, allow me to offer my condolences on the upcoming loss of your laptop.

Thank you very much.  At this point, I have an external fan by the vent, an external keyboard, an external mouse.  I can't reboot because it will not come back the way it was; you can only use the defibrillator so many times. 

I'll post the time of viewing and funeral services when the end arrives.    crying10.gif

disneyland lady

Yoming 2

Quote from: PissedOffPumpkin on April 14, 2016, 10:35:39 PM
I get that same message sometimes in IE on my brand new(ish) laptop. I also use FF, so when it happens, I close IE for a while, and when I reopen, it works again.

In advance, allow me to offer my condolences on the upcoming loss of your laptop. I loved my li'l HP so much I wanted to have its HPlets. Then it died. One bit after another - it died. I kept using it to the bitter end, working around each new failure. In the end I had a keyboard plugged into it so I could boot. I'm sorry, little Cube, but you are not half the laptop my HP was.

sigh

I have depressed myself.  6_6.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview