This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Flushing a Dog's Ear with Homemade Solution

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

Can anyone recommend a safe but effective solution for flushing a dog's ears? I have a ShiTzu and they have chronic ear problems. I want to be able to flush her ears frequently to avoid infections.

Squid

I had a shih tzu with a chronic ear.  I would flush his ear every 2-3 weeks and it really helped keep the inflammation and occasional infection at bay.  I used reg tap water (1/2 cup?), warmed it in the microwave.  I added 1-2 Tbsp of hydrogen peroxide.  I had a needle-less syringe that I would load, inject the warm (NOT HOT) solution in the ear and hold it there for at least one minute.  I used paper towel to let the bulk of the solution drain and would repeat this 2-3 times.  I then used a Q tip to clean the walls of the ear canal.  I knew my dog's  ears and never went too deep with the Q tip.  It was important to dry out the ear canal of the moisture.  I then used a couple of drops of commercially available anti-inflammatory ear medication like Zymox.  This worked for my dog.  If I ever got lazy about doing this, I always regretted it.  Good luck with your furry friend.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview