This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Suggestions

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

This thread is for members to make suggestions to the mods/admins. Tell us what you would want to see to make the site more interesting for you. Don't forget the guys are working on building a new website. Maybe one of your suggestions can be utilized in some way on the new site or this one.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Homer

Quote from: kotraquin on February 06, 2004, 07:40:16 PM
what about a red background for Feb 14th (Valentine's Day) and maybe a heart smiley just for that day only

Here's a suggestion from Kotraquin. Sorry didn't know how to move his post into this one.

admin

Yes, we always love to hear what you guys want so we can make pogocheats.net even better. :D

Any suggestions for the site that we are currently working on would be appreciated. There is no sure release date for the site, but -hopefully- it will be done before the end of the month, but I'm not making any promices. And don't worry, we are not getting rid of the forum.

What would you like to see on it? How do you think it should look? What would make you want to visit it? Answering questions like that would be very helpful to us when designing it.

Thanks.  :)

kotraquin

maybe split the tech help into 2 sections one for P programs
and one for Computer.
Change the Board "General Disscusion" name to P's Disscusion (non tech). Change First page to the PogoCheats.net  logo with a short Faqs.  add a spell checker ,
Eye wood like two see that lol :D

Homer

How about an auto refresh for the message board? I have to click the refresh button to see if there are new posts. I know I'm lazy. LOL ;)

Homer

How about being able to set your own font/color as a default.

admin

Quote from: kotraquin on February 07, 2004, 07:35:30 AM
maybe split the tech help into 2 sections one for P programs
and one for Computer.
Change the Board "General Disscusion" name to P's Disscusion (non tech). Change First page to the PogoCheats.net  logo with a short Faqs.  add a spell checker ,
Eye wood like two see that lol :D

It might be a good idea to reorganize the boards. Maybe nothing too major, but I was thinking of adding a "Contest" board or something like that so you can talk about the montly contest.

A spell checker will be in the next version of yaBB SE, which will be out soon.  :)

What do you mean by "Change First page to the PogoCheats.net  logo with a short Faqs. "?

kotraquin

QuoteWhat do you mean by "Change First page to the PogoCheats.net  logo with a short Faqs. "?

kinda like a "Welcome to PogoCheats.net"  maybe Faq's was wrong I meant  short TOS (terms of service)

admin

Quote from: John on February 07, 2004, 10:53:23 AM
How about an auto refresh for the message board? I have to click the refresh button to see if there are new posts. I know I'm lazy. LOL ;)

So maybe on the board index (not every page; you wouldn't want it refreshing when you are posting or reading a topic) have and auto-refresh timer? That could work well. (Assuming I can figure out how ;) ) How long would it be-- 30, 45 seconds?

admin

Quote from: kotraquin on February 07, 2004, 04:16:41 PM
QuoteWhat do you mean by "Change First page to the PogoCheats.net  logo with a short Faqs. "?

kinda like a "Welcome to PogoCheats.net"  maybe Faq's was wrong I meant  short TOS (terms of service)

So for the site? I'm not sure if I want to scare users away with that huge thing.  :P Or do you mean just have a link to it? I agree that there should be a link to the TOS, and we will be putting one on the site.

Homer

Quote from: Pcheats on February 07, 2004, 04:28:36 PM

So maybe on the board index (not every page; you wouldn't want it refreshing when you are posting or reading a topic) have and auto-refresh timer? That could work well. (Assuming I can figure out how ;) ) How long would it be-- 30, 45 seconds?

No doesn't have to be that quick. How about every minute or two. Yes, I mean the board index. The little blue light lets me know when there are new posts. For an example go to http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/scoreboard you will see in the middle column that you can have the page refresh anywhere from 30-90 seconds or not at all.

kotraquin

scaring people would be bad. alot of people are used to routine. I mean so many netizens use the same user name and password for everything  :-\
ok enough of my rant
any how if you look at other message boards and forums you'll notice the good/bad stuff right away...your users should be able to be able to navigate easy but I'm sure you knew that. One item that kinda distract me is all the options just to post one message.

Homer

Quote from: John on February 07, 2004, 05:09:23 PM
Quote from: Pcheats on February 07, 2004, 04:28:36 PM

No doesn't have to be that quick. How about every minute or two. Yes, I mean the board index. The little blue light lets me know when there are new posts. For an example go to http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/scoreboard you will see in the middle column that you can have the page refresh anywhere from 30-90 seconds or not at all.

See if this works:

Auto-refreshing...  
Automatic Refreshing is supported by many newer versions of Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. This also uses a modified form of the <META> tag. Auto refreshing means that once one page loads, you can set a certain number of seconds and then the browser will load another page automatically. The basic structure is as follows:

<meta http-equiv=REFRESH CONTENT="90_seconds; url=http://www.pogocheats.net/pagetosendto.html">

The URL is the page you want it to refresh to, CONTENT is the number of seconds you want it to wait before refreshing, and http-equiv=REFRESH just tells it that this is the refresh meta tag. For example, if you wanted the page to refresh to pogocheats.net after 5 seconds it would be as follows:

;D ;D ;D

admin

Yea, thats no problem. I've just got to figure out what file to add it to so it will just be to the board index. :)

admin

Quotewhat about a red background for Feb 14th (Valentine's Day) and maybe a heart smiley just for that day only

I'll see what we can do. Something special might be nice.

Homer

Quote from: Pcheats on February 07, 2004, 06:04:32 PM
Yea, thats no problem. I've just got to figure out what file to add it to so it will just be to the board index. :)

Maybe fatkid knows. He seems to be more computer literate than me. :)

kotraquin

Quote from: Pcheats on February 07, 2004, 06:15:52 PM
Quotewhat about a red background for Feb 14th (Valentine's Day) and maybe a heart smiley just for that day only

I'll see what we can do. Something special might be nice.

yeah!!! I love you too!

fatkid

Well if you are dealing with the meta tags, those involve the html directly, doesn't it?  And so that's where I see the problem with the PHP...  Correct me if I am wrong Pcheats, but there aren't individual html pages for each of the threads, but instead it is just PHP files that sort the submitted posts and threads... So wouldn't that make it so that anything that falls under the www.pogocheats.net/index (if the meta tag was set to auto-refresh) would auto-refresh?  (Because there is only 1 real html page and the rest are PHP sorted forms; so everything falls under the meta tag to refresh from the 1 html page)

I wonder though if you could some how include an "update" button in java script that tells you when the board has had a new addition (turns green whenever a new post goes up or whatever)... Instead of having each and every page refresh and a set interval...  Food for thought... (I'll be checking some stuff out on this around the web and see if I can find anything that is easliy enough implemented)

admin

Quote from: fatkid on February 08, 2004, 02:21:40 AM
Well if you are dealing with the meta tags, those involve the html directly, doesn't it?  And so that's where I see the problem with the PHP...  Correct me if I am wrong Pcheats, but there aren't individual html pages for each of the threads, but instead it is just PHP files that sort the submitted posts and threads... So wouldn't that make it so that anything that falls under the www.pogocheats.net/index (if the meta tag was set to auto-refresh) would auto-refresh?  (Because there is only 1 real html page and the rest are PHP sorted forms; so everything falls under the meta tag to refresh from the 1 html page)

Yes, but on different pages it still calls up different files. There is a BoardIndex.php, which I assume would be for the board index, and anything changed there would only effect the board index. So, if I added the auto-refresh thing there, it would only be on the board index. I could just put the html outside of the <?php ?> and it would be all good, right?

QuoteI wonder though if you could some how include an "update" button in java script that tells you when the board has had a new addition (turns green whenever a new post goes up or whatever)... Instead of having each and every page refresh and a set interval...  Food for thought... (I'll be checking some stuff out on this around the web and see if I can find anything that is easliy enough implemented)

That sounds very cool, but far beyond my abilities. :)  If you find anything on it, let me know.

kotraquin

with so much info on how to do webpages.
from simple HTML tags to CGI scripts. I'd google and search on how to properly do refresh. maybe you can read the source codes on sites you know  that uses auto refresh

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview