This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Tsunami

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

What a tragic event. Over 150,000 dead now. My heart goes out to the people who died and their families. :'(

I just simply find it inexcusable that there was no kind of warning system in place. :-\

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

fuzzyferrets

i know it suck. all them people had no way of knowing or getting out of there

Adacia

Dangit....this is the 2nd time I'm actually writing this from a puter fart. :-\
       I haven't quite comprehended the mess yet other than being heartbroken. There's a link on google on how to help. I put in what chump change I could afford as I am poor poor. What I really wish is that I could be there to help instead. I always feel that manpower is more important than money.
       This decade so far has been one tragedy after another. I hope 2005 will open some eyes and just plain be a good year.
        I was at a cafe this morning, A few tables behind me were a group of peeps  that didn't know how to whisper. They expressed that Asia is overpopulated and it was their fate. Why people can think like that is beyond me. I wanted to say something, but just kept my mouth shut. It could have happened anywhere and I bet they didn't have loved ones in Asia to speak like that.
        On this note, I wish you all a happy and  'safe' new year.

Homer

That's the problem with a lot of people these days no compassion. :-\ They could care less as long as it doesn't affect them directly.

bob@pogopal

Dream Faerie

I am willing to donate some money, clothes, food or whatever I can! I don't have much, but right now, I have more than them. So I am willing to share the little that I have :)

katieshunnybunny(rangerboy)

i feel for everyone and there families for the people that past away.  but i was reading on some site that out of the 150000 people that were killed the has still not found an animal.  i don't know if they were taken out to see or if they could since.  sorry if that is a little off topic but i thought htat was weird.

Topher

I heard on the news that a warning system would cost about 50 million dollars to finish installing it...small price for so many lives.  My kids are donating their xmas and hannukah money to the Red Cross, so we all do what we can.  Living here in Miami, about two miles from the water, makes me wonder and worry, what if it had been us?

Dream Faerie

Quote from: katieshunnybunny(rangerboy) on January 01, 2005, 01:01:22 AM
i feel for everyone and there families for the people that past away.  but i was reading on some site that out of the 150000 people that were killed the has still not found an animal.  i don't know if they were taken out to see or if they could since.  sorry if that is a little off topic but i thought htat was weird.

Maybe the old wives tale that animals know things ahead of time.... Ever notice how  forest animals run "away" from a forest fire? Or how my dogs know when its gonna storm way before it is announced...

Dream Faerie

Quote from: Topher on January 01, 2005, 12:10:43 PM
I heard on the news that a warning system would cost about 50 million dollars to finish installing it...small price for so many lives.  My kids are donating their xmas and hannukah money to the Red Cross, so we all do what we can.  Living here in Miami, about two miles from the water, makes me wonder and worry, what if it had been us?

I am glad you are still with us... & I will send positive thoughts your way day after day (when I can remember)

fuzzyferrets

U.N.: Tsunami aid rises to $2 billion
U.N.: Tsunami toll could approach 150,000
Saturday, January 1, 2005

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (CNN) -- Pledges of international financial support for countries devastated by the Indian Ocean tsanumis have reached $2 billion, according to the U.N. emergency relief coordinator.

The new amount, which includes contributions from many countries and the World Bank, is larger than what was pledged following all of the other humanitarian emergencies worldwide in 2004, Jan Egeland told CNN Saturday.

The money will allow relief workers to feed, clothe, and provide emergency medical services to "the clear majority" of those affected for the next few months, he said.

Egeland's comments came on the same day as Japan said it would increase its funding pledge to $500 million from $30 million.

The decision makes Japan the single largest contributor in the relief efforts. (Full story)

Homer

Don't know if this is a real pic or not. It seems to be making the email rounds.

Butterfly Fairy

My heart and prayers go out to everyone that was effected by this horrific disaster.  :'(

bob@pogopal

That might actually be an accurate picture. I am looking at before and after satellite shots of Indonesia published in the Washington Post, and you see several blocks of a city just washed out to sea.

You have to click on a little square in the map to see the satellite shots.

fuzzyferrets

Pho3nix

i hope all ends well for those that can be well...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview