PlayBuddy
May 19, 2024, 02:06:54 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Monopoly Sudoku : Win 30 games with 2 or more lives left this week! [Download Cheat]
Rainy Day Spider Solitaire HD : Clear 22 diamond suited sets this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

The Coffee Shop

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Australian fishermen net 500-pound squid
8 hours ago

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Australian fishermen have hauled up a 20-foot-long giant squid off the country's southeastern coast.

Skipper Rangi Pene said Monday that the 500-pound squid was already dead when it was caught in a trawler's nets Sunday night in waters more than 1,640 feet deep.

Paul McCoy, a fisheries research biologist, said it took 10 men to lift the squid onto a stretcher and place it in a storage freezer in the city of Portland. A museum will collect it this week.

McCoy said an analysis by the museum would determine the type of squid, its age and possibly how it died.

:ll

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on May 26, 2008, 02:09:52 PM
Australian fishermen net 500-pound squid
8 hours ago

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Australian fishermen have hauled up a 20-foot-long giant squid off the country's southeastern coast.

Thanks for posting this, Homer!  I think that's fascinating!  For centuries the giant squid have only been rumors, and in recent years they are finding more and more of them spending more time closer to the surface and even washing ashore.  When I read the article, I also found these things...

FUN SQUID FACTS

- The giant squid remains largely a mystery to scientists despite being the biggest invertebrate on Earth. Their inhospitable deep-sea habitat has made them uniquely difficult to study, and almost everything scientists know about them is from carcasses that have washed up on beaches or been hauled in by fishermen.

- The largest of these elusive giants ever found measured 59 feet (18 metres) in length and weighed nearly a ton (900 kg).

- Squid are among the fastest invertebrates on Earth speeding through the water at up to 24mph.

- Research indicates that squid cannot smell, they have no noses.

- Squid eyes are similar to fish eyes. They have no eyelids but control the amount of light coming into the eye by opening and closing their slitted pupil.

Thanks again for the article, Homer.

Stinkerbell

Morning!   :/o\  This is the last week of Seminary for my kids, my daughter has her term project due tomorrow and I have no roses to left to plant.
Now what am I going to do with all my free time?  Buy more roses perhaps?   girls22.gif

Homer

gator8_24

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Monkey on May 27, 2008, 07:27:16 PM
<:> <:> <:>

I've been craving homemade popcorn, not that garbage from a bag that my kids love.  YUK!

Homer

gator8_24

swamp

gator8_24

MsMissy

swamp

Quote from: gator8 on May 28, 2008, 11:29:25 AM
I think Swamp overslept! :/o\
no  me  :ox  i have the flu had to take a lot of  doctor.gif  and  nurse.gif  still might have to go in the hospital if my fever dont break  6_6.gif

Stinkerbell

Awwww.....   6_6.gif  Get better soon, swampyone!   (OO)

~Sassy~

Poor Swampers, so sorry you're sick with the flu. :ox  6_6.gif  I hope you get better soon...ok.  :-*
If you need help with your badges, just pm me.

Homer

gator8_24

Good Morning Everyone!  Swamp, sorry u r not feeling well, I kinda figured that as your better half was on pogo the past 2 nights.  Get that fever down and follow your wife's instructions  :)))  You know I'll help with badges, as you've done for me Take care  (OO)

Tara

Stinkerbell

:/o\  Morning!
Swampy, sorry you're still not feeling well.  2 nights off Pogo?  You must be in ICU on life support!
Check in when you can.  We all care and want you to feel better soon!   (OO)

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview