This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Canasta HD : Make 30 Canastas this week! [Download Cheat]
Sweet Tooth Town : Collect 80 stars this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Are You ready For $6/Gallon Gas?

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I've heard of people putting squid on their pizza... I definitely would watch out if I were you.

Stinkerbell

Well, I started a whole thread on this and should have posted it here instead...

While I am sympathetic to the plight of the Polar Bear, Caribou and Squid population in Alaska, there must be some way to drill for oil there and not kill off every living creature for miles around.  As I mentioned before, the caribou are thriving now that the pipeline is up and running... but really.  Where is this all going to end?

POLAR BEAR GETS FEDERAL PROTECTION

Statement of Betsy Loyless, Audubon's Donal O'Brien Chair for Policy and Advocacy

washington, DC, May 14, 2008 - "Federal protection for the polar bear sounds the alarm in the clearest way possible that global warming is here and needs to be addressed immediately. Our actions can save the polar bear or cause its extinction. Federal protection represents only the tip of the iceberg if Americans want to save the polar bear. Listing the bear as threatened is not going to save it if we continue to melt and drill its habitat.

"The polar bear has gone from an American icon of strength and beauty to a symbol of our imperiled environment. What will save the polar bear and protect us all is comprehensive global warming legislation that commits to reducing greenhouse gases and creating a clean energy economy."

MORE INFORMATION

Today, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made official its proposal to list the polar bear as a threatened species. The decision to list is strongly supported by sound science. The USFWS made its determination after the U.S. Geological Survey released a series of reports last fall that concluded shrinking sea ice caused by global warming could eliminate two-thirds of the world's polar bears - and all of those in Alaska - in the next 50 years.

Polar bears spend most of their lives on sea ice. They use it to hunt ringed seals, their primary prey, and the only ice seal that lives under the frozen ice cap. Polar bears hunt ribbon and bearded seals in broken ice. The summer of 2007 set a record low for sea ice in the Arctic with just 1.65 million square miles, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado.

The administration has blocked federal efforts to boost renewable fuels that would curb the rate of global warming, refused to participate in the Kyoto international accord that would cap global warming emissions, and has stood on the sidelines as Congress has begun moving comprehensive global warming legislation.

The administration has also aggressively pursued destructive oil and gas drilling in the Arctic, including some of the polar bear's most prized habitat. The most recent example came in last week's finalized 5-year offshore oil and gas leasing plan announced by the Interior Department that would allow oil companies to start drilling in the areas of Alaska's oceans that are most critical to the continued survival of the polar bear. Interior is selling leases for oil and gas development in 73 million acres of the Polar Bear Seas, comprised of the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas, which are estimated to support more than one-fifth of the world's population of polar bears.

Arctic sea ice has been in decline for decades and polar bears are dependent on it, and the ice seals associated with that habitat. All sea ice models predict at least 30 percent loss of late summer ice by mid-century and most predict ice-free conditions by the end of the century.

For more on the polar bear's plight, see Audubon Magazine's cover story in the latest issue at http://audubonmagazine.org/index.html.

shy123

wow thats cheep over here in the united kingdom we pay 6.50 english pounds a gallon girls18.gif

MsMissy

I think it is ridiculious, this raising gas prices constantly. Im sure glad i dont drive anymore, but i feel for my Son & people who do. Maybe we should put a motor & a basket on a bicycle  LOL

EASYRIDER10174

This is nuts $11.25 to fill my riding lawn mower,time to buy a horse >:((

Stinkerbell

Got this today -

Posted: June 09, 2008
2:25 pm Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

NEW YORK – The Goldman Sachs energy analyst whose predictions have fueled worldwide oil price speculation now foresees oil peaking at $200 a barrel, with gasoline rising to $5.75 a gallon before consumption cools enough to lower fuel prices.

In an rare interview published today in Barron's, Arjun N. Murti, Goldman Sachs' 39-year-old top energy analyst, said energy is in the later stages of a worldwide "super spike," with the possibility of $150 to $200 a barrel oil likely over the next six to 24 months."

Murti noted oil analysts have shifted from a 1990s attitude of, "It is easy to grow supply," to today's pessimism, "It is going to be more difficult to grow supply." The change is in part because oil-producing areas, including Mexico and the North Sea, are declining, while growth areas such as Brazil and Angola are just coming online.

In the interview with Barron's, Murti stressed he does not believe the world is running out of oil, and he does not subscribe to peak oil theories that worldwide oil production rates are necessarily declining.

In Murti's view, the problem is worldwide oil demand is growing consistently, while supply is growing more moderately.

"We do think that the places that have large quantities of recoverable oil, notably Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Venezuela and Russia, aren't on track to grow their supply aggressively," Murti said. "And, to some degree, high prices are disincentivizing some of these countries to either open up their industry or spend the money themselves. These countries don't need the incremental revenue."

Morgan Stanley agrees, predicting oil will hit $150 a barrel by the end of June or the beginning of July.

Crude oil set a one-day record Friday, surging more than $10 a barrel, to settle at $138.54 on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The price of crude oil on world future's exchanges has more than doubled in the past year.

Departing today on what is billed as his "farewell visit" to Europe, President Bush today blamed Congress for refusing to allow drilling in Alaska and offshore on the continental shelf, "to give this country a chance to help us through this difficult period by finding more supplies of crude oil, which will take the pressure off the price of gasoline."

Sen. John McCain has attacked Sen. Barack Obama's push for government incentives to develop alternative renewable fuels as government subsidies calculated to enrich special interests.

According to Stephen Power writing in today's Wall Street Journal, McCain favors scrapping federal ethanol credits, moving instead to develop more nuclear power plants.

"I have to give you straight talk about government subsidies," McCain told a business leader roundtable last month in Washington state. "When government jumps in and distorts the market, then there's unintended consequences as well as intended."

Obama has promised to invest $150 billion in alternative fuels over the next decade, with a requirement that the U.S. get at least 25 percent of its electricity from renewable sources, including wind, sun and geothermal energy by 2025, even though those resources today account for less than 1 percent of U.S. electricity.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview