PlayBuddy
May 02, 2024, 12:11:17 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Quinn's Aquarium : Collect 60 pairs of Shell Tiles this week! [Download Cheat]
Crossword Cove HD : Solve 65 down words without using hints this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Manny Being Banny

Started by Joe C,

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C

ESPN reports:
NEW YORK -- Manny Ramirez was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday, becoming the latest high-profile player ensnared in the sport's drug scandals.

The Los Angeles Dodgers star said he did not take steroids and was prescribed medication by a doctor that contained a banned substance. The commissioner's office didn't announce the specific violation by the 36-year-old outfielder, who apologized to the Dodgers and fans for "this whole situation."

However, two sources told ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mark Fainaru-Wada that the drug used by Ramirez is HCG -- human chorionic gonadotropin. HCG is a women's fertility drug typically used by steroid users to restart their body's natural testosterone production as they come off a steroid cycle. It is similar to Clomid, the drug Bonds, Giambi and others used as clients of BALCO.

"Recently, I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players' union.

"Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons."

A source with intimate knowledge of steroids told ESPN that a male athlete usually uses HCG after a cycle of steroids because steroids often shut down the testosterone-making ability of the testicles. HCG restores their capacity to make testosterone. The source said that some males may use HCG in lieu of steroids also. HCG by itself can provide a substantial boost in the body's own testosterone, and this may provide some performance-enhancement benefits.

Ramirez had scheduled an appeal and MLB officials were in Los Angeles to meet with him on Wednesday, a source familiar with the matter told ESPN. Ramirez, however, withdrew the appeal Wednesday and accepted the suspension. Under the union agreement, the drugs major league players test positive for are not released by MLB or the players' union.

One former teammate of Ramirez's said he thought players around the league would be surprised by the news, especially in an era of heightened drug testing.

"I'm very surprised," the former teammate told ESPN.com's Amy K. Nelson, "especially how often [players] get tested and the no-tolerance thing. It's pretty irresponsible.

"A bummer for the game."

The players' association said Ramirez was suspended by the commissioner under the "just cause" provision of section 8.G.2 of the joint drug agreement. That allows players to be penalized for use, sale or distribution of banned substances, even where the agreement doesn't specify a particular penalty, such as for a positive test.

"The commissioner's office is precluded from making any comment by the Collective Bargaining Agreement," MLB spokesman Rich Levin said.

The suspension began Thursday and barring any postponements Ramirez will be able to return to the Dodgers -- who now have the best record in baseball -- for the July 3 game at San Diego. Ramirez will lose almost $8 million of his $25 million salary.

Dodgers coach Larry Bowa said he turned on his television Thursday morning and did a double-take when he saw the news about Ramirez's suspension.

"There was a pit in your stomach, because obviously with the way we're playing [so well] right now," Bowa said in an ESPN Radio interview with Colin Cowherd. "... On the other hand, it's time for some of our young kids to grow up now. We don't have Manny for 50 games, so they're going to have to go out there and play. ... It's going to be a challenge for them."

While Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, Jose Canseco and a long list of stars have been implicated in the use of performance-enhancing drugs, Ramirez is the most prominent suspended under the drug policy players and owners put in place seven years ago.

Last fall, Canseco pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor offense of trying to bring HCG across the border from Mexico and was sentenced to 12 months' unsupervised probation. A self-admitted and longtime steroids user, Canseco said he sought the drug to try and restore his testosterone level.

In February, Rodriguez admitted taking steroids while playing for Texas from 2001 to '03. But testing with penalties didn't begin until 2004, and the New York Yankees third baseman doesn't appear likely to be suspended.
Boston University Class of 2017!

Master of Science in Project Management

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

disneyland lady

I think I have a solve to this whole problem. Just legalize the steroids and let them take them. We will have a freak show for a few years and then they die like Lyle Alzado. That way you don't have to pay the big contracts for very long and no one will be around to retire and be a late night sports announcer/former player.

Hocky

It's a shame what some people will do at the expense of their own bodies.  slap1.gif slap1.gif

Joe C

bobby

Quote from: Joe C on July 30, 2009, 09:02:12 PM
And now it is Papi on the list. hi11.gif
the a's of the 80's the yankees of the 90's the red sox of this decade..all their big players were on the juice rolleyes.gif

Joe C

Quote from: bobby on July 31, 2009, 12:22:00 AM
the a's of the 80's the yankees of the 90's the red sox of this decade..all their big players were on the juice rolleyes.gif
As soon as A-Rod "popped" on the list, I told my friends who are Yankees fans the following: "It not longer matters about records and asterisks. It is a era filled with cheaters. My cheaters were better than your cheaters."

There is not a single player playing today that you can say "Well, HE never took steroids", because a lot of them took it heal more quickly after injury. People have been talking about performance enhancers in sports since the 60s, and in baseball since the 70s. Yawn! yawn.gif

disneyland lady

It is very obvious to me here in Sandy Eggo that none of the Padres are on steroids.

Homer

Quote from: disneyland lady on July 31, 2009, 06:33:41 AM
It is very obvious to me here in Sandy Eggo that none of the Padres are on steroids.

giggle2.gif

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Joe C

Quote from: disneyland lady on July 31, 2009, 06:33:41 AM
They are just not spending the money for the good ones. giggle2.gif

Either that, or the Chargers have cornered the local market.  shy12.gif

That is the real problem. In football, people take steroids and if they get caught, they get suspended. In baseball, people all have nervous breakdowns when people get caught taking steroids.

Bearcats937

Quote from: hocky on May 08, 2009, 10:27:09 AM
It's a shame what some people will do at the expense of their own bodies.  slap1.gif slap1.gif

Well as long as owners keep giving them millions for doing it   slap1.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview