PlayBuddy
May 16, 2024, 10:43:56 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Monopoly Sudoku : Win 30 games with 2 or more lives left this week! [Download Cheat]
Rainy Day Spider Solitaire HD : Clear 22 diamond suited sets this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Homer~ Bob

Started by brokenhearted,

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenhearted

I really have questions about somethings that I have been reading regarding programming...First of all I take my Hat (well if I were a man I would) off to anyone who has the talent to do the programs we are so lucky to get from all of you...Lately I have read things about packs and cracks and other technical jargon that gets me confused. I won't mention a name, but saw he posted today and it is gone as he mentioned several things that had to do with some sort of cracks. Could you please explain what a crack is? Okay I mean pertaining to the auto programs ;)  I noticed when I download a game from Ares or LimeWire, that it will say crack and I did download a game one time and the next thing I know my entire explorer had been messed with. I ended up having to do a system restore to get rid of what the program added to my computer.
I don't know if the crack had anything to do with it, but was just wondering....
I have always been fascinated by what others can do and always trying to pick up pieces here and there to understand more about computer programs.
Again, not trying to cause any problems by posting this question, am just curious. Believe me when I say Badge Help owns me lol, well at least part of my pay checks. I would appreciate any knowledge shared. Again you guys that do these programs are the greatest and have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone that can do them. I feel so in the dark when I read something that I don't know anything about. Thanks so much!!!!
Geesh after reading this, made me wonder myself what I was talking about lol...Hope you brainy guys can catch on  :P

DEBKARLAR

in simple terms it's like having Cable TV without paying for it and as such when you don't pay for something you assume all risk and responsibility

bob@pogopal

A crack is a tool for stealing software by removing the shareware limitations or other copy protection or is a program with the protections removed.

Many of the individuals who make cracks are the same script kiddies who want to take over computers for DDOS attacks etc. As a result, a lot of cracks have trojans, keyloggers, viruses etc.

Homer

The file sharing networks are a mess. If you are looking to download programs music etc from these networks you are virtually guaranteed to download 1 or more of the following things Bob mentions. It's even been rumored that the music and film industry are purposely uploading programs that will intentionally harm your computer. There are some very nasty things that some people choose to attach to these files and could possibly do irreparable harm to your pc. Not to mention you could face possible prosecution as many people have found out the hard way by downloading pirated stuff.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

bob@pogopal

Dream Faerie

Quote from: BadgeHelpBob on November 26, 2004, 04:20:03 PM
A crack is a tool for stealing software by removing the shareware limitations or other copy protection or is a program with the protections removed.

Many of the individuals who make cracks are the same script kiddies who want to take over computers for DDOS attacks etc. As a result, a lot of cracks have trojans, keyloggers, viruses etc.

May I ask what a "Keylogger" is?

FilthyCradle

Isn't that a program that records all the keys you press. I think it is used to get passwords and credit card info and crap like that.

Mayhem

a keylogger records and logs all your keystrokes (and usually sends that information to a 3rd party without your knowledge).

will record everything .. logging into you bank, paypal, websites .. everything.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Dream Faerie

Homer

It should scare you. It's a very serious problem. Between keylogging and phishing scams people are having their identities stolen, bank accounts cleaned out etc. :-\

Hevenleigh

That just happened to a local lady here where I live. She went to buy a new car, only to find out that she had 5 other cars in her name that she had no clue about. They went through her computer and found out that she had some kind of spyware or something on there that was recording everything she did and someone used her information to buy a whole bunch of crap in her name. Scary scary stuff

Homer

I read in an article somewhere that the average loss of people this had happened to was $2500 :o

bob@pogopal

The problem with averages is there are probably a lot of $100 losses in that $2500 average as well as some whoppers.

Identity theft has literally wiped some people out -- even before you start counting the loss to their quality of life from creditors they know nothing about hounding them over debts or years spent getting a new SSN.

DEBKARLAR

having seen many Applications for employment I'm surprized Employers still require SSN on Application.... should be keep off till Hired and only people who need to know have that info. :-\

Hevenleigh

speaking of employers, i saw on one of those cold case files shows a story about some murderer that used some guy's name and SSN for work. The poor victim ended up paying thousands of $ of the murderer's taxes before the guy was stopped. The victim ended up doing most of the investigation himself because the IRS wouldn't do anything about it, even though he could prove that he wasn't traveling the states, working all the odd jobs the murderer was working in his name.

Jeffer

BTW, if you're worried about spyware, you should have Ad Aware (freeware), Spy Sweeper (Shareware, 1 free definition update) or Spybot Search and Destroy (Freeware).  All are good, and I would suggest downloading all 3 and running them all twice in a row if you've never ran a spyware sweeper before. Run each one once a week.   After a month keep the two that find the most spyware.

I kept Ad aware and broke down and bought the definition subscription for Spybot.  But others feel different than me, and prefer Spybot...  Like I said, keep the ones that find the most things on your computer...

DrummerGirl

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview