PlayBuddy
June 16, 2024, 09:17:27 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 30 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Thousand Island Solitaire HD : Play 160 distance cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Hey Homer? (Or anyone else) I have a computer technical question...

Started by Dream Faerie,

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream Faerie

I have a computer technical question. I was told it is not good to run 2 seperate antivirus software programs on your computer.  ::) Well, my new computer came with Nortons Antivirus 2005 which I love.  :-* I have had Norton's on every computer I owned. However this computer also came with McAfee's Security Center. Here is the problem: If I enable the firewall, it does not recognize Norton's. It says "Your computer may be at risk. No antivirus software was detected." (not those exact words, but close enough) & it asks me permission every time my Norton's wants to do a live update (Because it is a different virus defiinition each time) If I do NOT enable it, then I am at a much higher risk. Any ideas?  :-\

Thank you all in advance.  :D Any help would be greatly appreciated.  O0

Please keep in mind that sometimes, things need to be explained in detail or differently for me to understand properly, so please do not be offended if I ask questions on your answers.

Homer

There is no need to run 2 virus programs together as long as you keep it updated. I have mine programmed to do auto updates and auto scans. Keeping your virus program updated is the key. As I stated in a previous thread new viruses etc are born daily.

I don't like McAfee I haven't used them since the mid 90's. It came with my first pc and worked like crap. Maybe they have gotten the bugs worked out by now but I have a program from Trend Micro I am very happy with.

If you like the Norton stick with it and just disable the McAfee or vice versa.

I'm a little confused as to how you have things setup currently. If you could answer the following questions maybe we can sort things out.

1. What are you using for anti virus?
2. What are you using for your firewall?
3. When you say "Your computer may be at risk. No antivirus software was detected." is this an error you get from the new windows security center or is it from Norton or McAfee?

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Dream Faerie

Quote from: Homer on January 25, 2005, 12:08:00 PM
There is no need to run 2 virus programs together as long as you keep it updated. I have mine programmed to do auto updates and auto scans. Keeping your virus program updated is the key. As I stated in a previous thread new viruses etc are born daily.

I don't like McAfee I haven't used them since the mid 90's. It came with my first pc and worked like crap. Maybe they have gotten the bugs worked out by now but I have a program from Trend Micro I am very happy with.

If you like the Norton stick with it and just disable the McAfee or vice versa.

I'm a little confused as to how you have things setup currently. If you could answer the following questions maybe we can sort things out.

1. What are you using for anti virus?
2. What are you using for your firewall?
3. When you say "Your computer may be at risk. No antivirus software was detected." is this an error you get from the new windows security center or is it from Norton or McAfee?

Thank you for responding. I want to keep this computer at it's peak! I havent had problem's with viruses "yet" (I want to keep it that way) But it's the darn spy/adware. I have Spybot AND Ad-Ware SE Personal AND McAfee's Security Center has It's own Anti Spyware in it also.
This computer came with Nortons Anti Virus AND McAfee Security Center (Thats where the firewall is)
Answers:
1 - Norton's (But I go to the Trend Micro site weekly & scan to see if Norton's missed anything)
2 - McAfee (It came with the computer)
3 - It is a message I get from McAfee because it doesnt recognize my Norton's Anti Virus software. I have no problems except the message: "Your computer may be at risk. No antivirus software was detected" Which again, only happens when I have my firewall on. I do not like Zone alarm. I know some people swear by it, but I am not a big fan.
Thanks in advance!!!

Homer

The easy solution would be just use McAfee for everything. ;) Then you can still scan it at Trend to see if it misses anything. ;)

Dream Faerie

Quote from: Homer on January 25, 2005, 01:36:23 PM
The easy solution would be just use McAfee for everything. ;) Then you can still scan it at Trend to see if it misses anything. ;)

But I always scan everything I download. & Nortons would catch it quicker right?

Homer

I don't know that to be true. It depends how often your virus database information is updated.

Dream Faerie

Quote from: maxraven on January 25, 2005, 03:08:02 PM
There is no question that Norton AV is better than McAfee...and you CANNOT run both at the same time as they conflict with each other. I wouls suggest that you completely remove McAfee and keep your Norton on automatic update. If it is a firewall you need, Windows XP upgrade to SP2 has one built-in into it's Security Center options.

OK, I have windows XP SP2. So I will try it & see how it goes.. THANK YOU BOTH!!!!!!  O0

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview