This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

How old were you when?

Started by tponka,

Previous topic - Next topic

tponka

Rules of the game:  Answer the question from the poster above you, telling how old you were when a certain event occurred.  You can use historic events (such as "How old were you when Reagan became President?") or common life events (such as "How old were you when you went on your first date?").

So.. How old were you when Reagan became President?

zeboo

16  good lord am I that old  :))

how old were you when Mt. St. Helens errupted?

xx_mandy_xx

don't think i was alive

how old were you when president kennedy was shot

tponka

I definitely wasn't alive.. my mom was in the 9th grade (in geometry class!)

How old were you when you first fell in love?

xx_mandy_xx

how old were you the first time you went to a zoo

jade2002

never been to a zoo

how old were u when u lost your virginity

Stinkerbell

20 (when I got married)

how old were you when dittos were in style?

tponka

After looking up what "dittos" were, I found that those jeans were in style when I was about 6.   ""

How old were you when Billy Joel released "We Didn't Start the Fire"? 
side note:  wouldn't it be cool if he did a part 2 where the first one left off to now?

CanadianPrincess

OK, I had to look up what year Billy Joel released that song!  It was 1989, I was 19 and just graduated from nursing school.

How old were you when Prince Andrew married Fergie?

PS:  Yes, it would be very cool to hear part II (I have visions of Monica and her cigar, Saddam in the hole, and something about Bush being elected by the Supreme Court)

Julie

They married in July 1986, I had just turned 17 <:>

How old were you when you got your first job?

tponka

10, and I've had one since!

How old were you when the Berlin Wall fell?

wigwommom

bluebell1us

2 my mom said I was hard headed about that potty

how old were you when the War in Vietnam started?

Stinkerbell

Quote from: bluebell1us on September 20, 2006, 09:30:09 AM
2 my mom said I was hard headed about that potty

how old were you when the War in Vietnam started?

Tried as I might, the only thing I could find was that there was never an actual declaration of war so there is no exact start date.... but I did find this information:

POSSIBLE START DATES FOR THE WAR:

1. Sept. 27, 1950 -- U.S. establishes the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Indochina (MAAG) in Saigon to aid the French military (the French had been fighting communist rebels in Vietnam, their pre-WWII colony, since 1945).

2. November 1, 1955 -- The U.S. redesignates MAAG, Indochina, as MAAG, Vietnam to specify its new direct combat advisory role with the South Vietnamese Army. The U.S. essentially took over the advisory role from the French, who were leaving Vietnam after their defeat at Diem Bien Phu in 1954. The Department of Defense views this date as the earliest qualifying date for inclusion on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

3. March 1959 -- Ho Chi Minh declares a People's War to unite all of Vietnam under his leadership. His Politburo orders a changeover to an all-out military struggle. From the comnmunist perspective, the "Vietnam War" against the U.S. has now officially started.

4. December 11, 1961 -- U.S. aircraft carrier "Core" arrives in Saigon with 33 helicopters and 400 air and ground crewmen assigned to operate them for the South Vietnamese Army. Also, U.S. pilots start to train & fly support missions with the South Vietnamese Air Force. This reall marks the first larger scale participation of U.S. military "advisors".

5. August 7, 1964 -- In response to the incidents involving U.S> naval vessels U.S.S. Maddox and the U.S.S. Turner Joy, the U.S. Congress overwhelmingly passes the "Gulf of Tonkin Resolution," allowing the President "to take all necessary steps, including the use of armed force" to prevent further attacks against U.S. forces. Many people view this as the "official" start of the war, although there was never a declaration of war.

6. March 8, 1965 -- The first U.S. combat troops arrive in Vietnam, as 3500 Marines land at China Beach to defend the American air base at Da Nang. They join 23,000 American military advisors already in Vietnam. The arrival of combat troops is considered by some the start of the war, although American military advisors have been in Vietnam for over 10 years.
====
How old were you when the Partridge Family first aired?

Ilovemyweims

i think i was 6 that was a long time ago!!

How old were you when the space shuttle blew up?

tponka

January 28, 1986:  I was 16 years old, and it was a snow day, so my siblings and I were home from school.  We were all watching the launch on TV (buncha geeks we were..).  All four of us cried and cried as the events unfolded.  We called our parents at work and told them what happened.  Mom came home from work to see the news, and to calm down 4 wailing teenagers.  It was just plain awful!

How old were you when Michael Jackson was a black man and released "Thriller"?

xx_mandy_xx

It was released December 1, 1982. I was not yet born  :)))

How old were you when it snowed in Florida? (this is not a trick question...it really did happen)

CanadianPrincess

It snows fairly often in North Florida.  In South Florida (where I live) it's almost unheard of.  However, it supposedly snowed in Fort Myers, just north of me, in 1989.  So I was 20.

Let's see....how old were you when Pan AM 103 was bombed over Scotland?

xx_mandy_xx

Quote from: CanadianPrincess on September 22, 2006, 08:51:44 AM
It snows fairly often in North Florida.  In South Florida (where I live) it's almost unheard of.  However, it supposedly snowed in Fort Myers, just north of me, in 1989.  So I was 20.

Let's see....how old were you when Pan AM 103 was bombed over Scotland?

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area myself!! :)

That bombing happened on December 21, 1988.  That means I was 2. 

How old were you when Full House first aired?

xx_mandy_xx

No one plays this...

It first aired in 1987 and I was 1

How old were you when President Clinton was first inaugurated?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview