PlayBuddy
June 08, 2024, 10:17:05 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Anagrams : Spell 500 words this week! [Download Cheat]
Pogo Daily Sudoku : Win 24 games with two or more lives left this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

new computer

Started by eyedoc55,

Previous topic - Next topic

eyedoc55

Sorry I have been away for a while...my acer took a dump and I have been saving my money...lol..I just got a new dell and I find I cant get my resolution right...so I cant play Pogo...my comp. is a touch screen..dell 2330...any one know what to do...

C~M

first thing is to get your money back, Dell sux, lol
I just got one as well. Their online help sux. Their twitter help sux. I had a battery that wouldn't charge in mine. (notebook) After talking with a Dell Rep through emails via their forum, he had me send it to their factory for diagnostics tests, I told him and even made a note to include with my computer about the Windows Update erroring out. When I got it back it had a page with items that could be checked off to tell me what was done. nothing was checked. There was however a typed part that said the battery was replaced. My Windows Update still errors out and the twitter guy wanted me to do a system restore. I said no to that. I did tell him I was using a program to scan and fix the errors it found and he replied that if I used a 3rd party program that they wouldn't fix it or help me fix it any more.

hotpinklovesofa

My POS laptop is a Dell.  They suck in terms of quality and service.  My laptop started falling apart 2 months in. First the USB ports stopped working, then it wouldn't charge the battery or power up off the power cord so now I work off of two batteries that I have an independent charger for, the rubber stoppers around the screen started to fall off and now the screen has separated from the base on the left side (although that's more my dog's fault than Dell's since he jumped on me while I was working.)  Other than my dog jumping on me this laptop has never been exposed to any kind of abuse to justify it falling apart so quickly.  I pretty much only kept and still use the laptop to play Pogo b/c I have so many issues with my Macs.  Oh, lastly, Dell starts harassing you over mail, email and phone with marketing calls (outsourced of course) so I had to write them a threatening letter to get myself off their marketing lists b/c customer service would just laugh when I told them that they're obligated to take me off the list if I request it.  Basically they sell you a crappy product, won't cover anything when it falls apart well within the warranty or do a half-assed job 'fixing' it and when you're frustrated and vulnerable from making such a piss poor investment they start harassing you to buy a much more expensive product.  Never again!

gran2x2

I have been using a Dell laptop for a year now and it has been great..Never had a prob with it...I really am happy with mine..

snap20

I've used the same Dell tower since 2001. Only upgraded hard drive, one stick of RAM, OS, sound card and video card. Chipset is still the same and never had a problem with it. I've had others buy towers and laptops and they also have not had any issues that wasn't 'user error'.

Their customer service is garbage. The equipment, depending on what you get, is generally the same as any other it's just the customer service that is the problem. If you have trouble with computers, you're better off buying from someplace like Best Buy and getting the protection plan so fixing it is covered. Just based on the customer service though, I doubt I'll ever buy Dell again.

Squid

My mother has a dell and she only has problems with it.  Granted, she isn't a very tidy computerist but it's still aggravating when your system is nothing but trouble.

eyedoc55

I should have stated that this new dell is a all-in-one 2330..and I have used every resolution that's in appearance and display...every time I open a game in Pogo the game is all out of wack...no matter what I try I cant fit the game in the screen...if anyone has had this problem and fixed it...I greatly appreciate any advice...I'm missing my gaming....lol

harley89

I have owned several Dell computers and never had a problem.  but their customer service does blow.  I will make one pricey suggestion when it comes to Dell. Buy Alienware.   I got one this week and it is over the top and runs like nothing I have ever owned.    You can get  a basic MX14R2 for under $1000.  This is the one I have but I upgraded several things and spent more on it.  This line can have multiple hard drives  I have 2 you can get up to 3 but you will pay big bucks for that.    And right now it is the only line Dell was shipping with Win 7.  I intend to avoid Win 8 for as long as possible. Alienware has their own owners Forum and it appears that the customer service is not handled by Dell. The number is different.

snap20

Quote from: eyedoc55 on November 15, 2012, 05:25:48 PM
I should have stated that this new dell is a all-in-one 2330..and I have used every resolution that's in appearance and display...every time I open a game in Pogo the game is all out of wack...no matter what I try I cant fit the game in the screen...if anyone has had this problem and fixed it...I greatly appreciate any advice...I'm missing my gaming....lol

Honestly, your best bet is to post a message here: http://en.community.dell.com/

It could be something wrong with the screen itself, your internet browser, the graphics card, a driver, etc. The site above seems to be the fastest/best way to get issues resolved, if they can be resolved without calling or RMA'ing a product. Give it a shot at least.

S1lent

Greetings,
No matter what computer you have, If you had good luck, you will stay with it.

Conversely, If things went bad...you will drop it like a chinese chicken.

Good luck
I am really happy with my apple iMac and MacBook Pro...but I don't play games with either of them...been using two HP (Costco) computers.

Good luck
S1lent

Squid

Sue

Someone has offered to buy my boys a computer for Christmas since they use them everyday.
This is offered at Staples for $449.99  Save $90  Reg. price $539.99
It would be used for Pogo and the games the boys play everyday from other sites.
What do you think about this computer?

Item: 989661
Model: H4A32AA#ABA

HP Pavilion p7-1436s is perfect for any task!
The HP Pavilion p7 series PC has been beautifully designed to fit seamlessly in almost any home environment. Whether you're surfing the Web, editing photos, mixing your soundtracks or creating your own home videos, HP Pavilion p7 desktop offers a variety of ways to make your computing experience richer and more rewarding. As you would expect from the leader in consumer PC's, every HP Pavilion p7 PC includes many intuitive features that make capturing and sharing your digital experiences easier than ever.
•Next Gen AMD A6-5400K Accelerated 3.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor
•8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory, expandable to 32GB
•1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
•SuperMulti DVD Burner
•Windows 8

Specifications
Desktop Special Feature AMD A75 FCH Chipset
Desktop Power N/A
Desktop Audio Beats Audio
Desktop Media Card Reader Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: supports SmartMedia, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC,
Desktop Hard Drive Type SATA
Desktop Memory Expandable 32GB
Desktop Memory RAM 8GB
Desktop Processor Next Gen AMD A6-5400K Accelerated
Desktop Weight 21.2 lbs
Desktop Video Memory Up to 4GB
Desktop CPU Cache 1MB L2
Desktop Processor Speed 3.6GHz
Desktop Memory Type PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory
Desktop USB Ports 4 USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0 ports (2 Back, 2 front)
Desktop Operating System Genuine Windows 8
Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate 10/100/1000 Base-T Network
Desktop Other Ports 1 D-sub, 1 DVI-D, 1 headphone, 1 microphone, 1 RJ-45, 1 optical audio out
Desktop Network Card Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n
Desktop Optical Drive SuperMulti DVD Burner
Desktop Hard Drive Speed 7200RPM
Desktop Hard Drive Size 1TB
All in One Desktop No
Desktop Includes Monitor No
Desktop Use Professional
Desktop Refurbished No
Desktop Warranty 1 year limited
Desktop Dimensions (L x W x H) 16.14" x 6.89" x 15.28"
Desktop Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7540D Graphics
Touch Screen Enabled No

Sue

This one is $329.99   Save $70   Reg. price $399.99

Item: 989663
Model: H4A11AA#ABA

HP Pavilion p6-2316s helps you get back to the basics!
With convenient expandability options, the HP Pavilion p6 is the versatile PC that will grow as your needs do. And with its refined profile, it will fit seamlessly anywhere you choose to put it. Top that off with powerful performance, and you've found your ideal PC
•AMD A4-3420 Accelerated 2.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache Processor
•4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory, expandable to 8GB
•500GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
•SuperMulti DVD Burner
•Windows 8

Specifications
Desktop Use Everyday
Desktop Processor AMD A4-3420 Accelerated
Desktop Weight 15.83 lbs
Desktop Video Memory up to 2GB
Desktop CPU Cache 1MB L2
Desktop Processor Speed 2.8GHz
Desktop Power N/A
Desktop Audio High Definition Audio with up to 5.1 surround sound capabilities
Desktop Media Card Reader Front panel 6-in-1 memory card reader: supports Secure Digital (SD,SDHC), xD, MultiMedia Card (MMC), MultiMedia Card Plus (MMC Plus), Memory Stick (MS)
Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate 10/100/1000 Base-T Network
Desktop Network Card None
Desktop Optical Drive SuperMulti DVD Burner
Desktop Hard Drive Speed 7200RPM
Desktop Hard Drive Size 500GB
Desktop Hard Drive Type SATA
Desktop Memory Type PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory
Desktop Memory Expandable 8GB
Desktop Memory RAM 4GB
Desktop Refurbished No
Desktop Warranty 1 year limited
Desktop Dimensions (L x W x H) 14.80" x 6.50" x 14.49"
Desktop Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6410D Graphics
Desktop Special Feature AMD A55 FCH Chipset
Desktop Other Ports 1 VGA, 1 DVI - out, 1 RJ-45, 1 headphone, 1 microphone
Desktop USB Ports 6 USB ports (2 x 2.0 , 4 x 2.0 rear)
All in One Desktop No
Touch Screen Enabled No

snap20

Lucky - personally, I avoid HP computers at all costs. I haven't had good luck with a single one and have had family and friends with zero luck with them (hardware failures of one sort or another).  Also, please notice that these do not come with a monitor. Those can run you anywhere from about $100 to $200 (maybe less with sales, smaller size).

If I were going to purchase a new computer it would be a Dell, Asus (NOT Acer), or Lenovo. I'd probably lean towards Lenovo, they are cheap, and have been getting pretty good reviews lately (and you don't have to deal with Dell customer service).

In short, the two computers you listed would be fine for games, pogo, general internet use and general use for things like homework/word processing.

Sue

Thank you so much for your reply. You have helped me more than you know.

Sue

This is offered in Staples AD this week for $379.99 Save $100 Reg. Price $479.99
But I have a coupon for an additional $75.00 off to bring it down to $304.99
Item: 985091
Model: 57311597

Lenovo H430 offers an affordable PC with everything that the whole family needs!
The Lenovo H430 desktop computer offers a host of entertainment features, all at a very reasonable price. Thanks to the smart performance of the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor, it can handle many popular game titles with ease. It is equally good for web browsing, homework, video playback or editing photo albums. All this makes it an ideal PC for the whole family.
•2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2130 3.4GHz 3MB Cache Processor
•4GB DDR3 1333 MHz Memory
•1TB SATA Hard Drive
•Integrated slot-in DVD reader/writer Optical Drive
•Windows 8

Specifications
Desktop Warranty 1 year
Desktop Video Memory shared
Desktop CPU Cache 3MB
Desktop Processor Speed 3.4GHz
Desktop Power n/a
Desktop Audio Up to 5.1 channel surround sound support
Desktop Media Card Reader 6in1 (SD, SDHC, MS, MS-Pro, MMC, MMC Plus)
Desktop Optical Drive Integrated slot-in DVD reader/writer
Desktop Hard Drive Speed SATA
Desktop Hard Drive Size 1TB
Desktop Memory Type DDR3 1333MHz
Desktop Memory Expandable 8GB
Desktop Memory RAM 4GB
Desktop Processor 2nd generation Intel Core i3-2130
Desktop Hard Drive Type n/a
Desktop Special Feature Lenovo Rescue System
Desktop Other Ports headphone, mic, HDMI
Desktop USB Ports 4 x USB 2.0 (rear), 2 x USB 2.0 (front)
Desktop Weight 17.6 lbs
Desktop Dimensions (L x W x H) 17" x 14.5" x 6.8"
Desktop Video Graphics Integrated Intel HD graphics
Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate 10/100/1000M Ethernet
Desktop Network Card n/a
All in One Desktop No
Desktop Use Entertainment
Desktop Refurbished No
Touch Screen Enabled No

snap20

Everything you need right there. It does not have a wireless card though, so plan for that if you were planning to use it wirelessly. If you do want a wireless card, they are simple to install (Staples might even do it for you, for the price of the card. Not sure about that). If you want to just plug a cable into the back of it though, that'll work.

I've harped on it before, but I'll mention again...if you can avoid Windows 8 and just get Windows 7, I'd do that, unless you are going to get a touchscreen monitor. That's a choice for you though, you may not agree with me or just want Win8.

You'll see some reviews talk about the graphics card is not that great for "gaming". Well that's if you are gaming with stuff like Warcraft, Call of Duty, things like that. Graphic intensive games. If you kids don't do that kind of gaming (and even if they do really) I wouldn't worry about it.

Sue

Hmm you brought up a few good points for me to ask the retailer. Thanks for your insight.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview