This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Digital camera

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

I do not have a smart phone/iphone/etc.  The cell phone I use is for talking only and it takes awful pictures.  I am not interested in changing my phone and plan.  I thought I would buy a digital camera and was thinking about the Nikon CoolPix, which takes nice pictures (an acquaintance has one - not sure which year/model).  Does anyone have any thoughts on a decent digital camera I should consider?  I want to spend approx. 100 dollars (less would be nice).  I don't need lots of bells and whistles... just the ability to take decent pictures of everyday life.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.   
camera.gif camera.gif camera.gif camera.gif camera.gif

gran2x2

I got a coolpix and love it..Got it last year about this time and bought my daughter one too. Very basic and easy to use..Its small and light weight and holds a good charge. I would consider it very seriously. tumbsup.gif

snap20

Don't fall into the trap of megapixels = better. Megapixels only matter if you are making prints larger than 8x10.

What you want to pay attention to is size, optical zoom, screen size (if that matters to you, it doesn't to me), and image stabilization. Really when you are talking about under $100 it's personal preference more than numbers since they'll all basically be the same. Stick with the big names, Nikon, Canon, Sony or Samsung (I'm a Canon fanboy, but I'd consider Nikon or Sony as well).

A lot of the less expensive cameras have under 8x Optical zoom. Look for one that's higher. Some will say 64x zoom! but that's not optical, so the pics look like crap (generally).

You should go to a best buy/electronics store so you can just hold them, look at them, see how they feel before you make your decision. Don't let a salesman talk you into anything though. They'll try and sell you on stuff you don't need (even more so if they are on commission or are told to push specific brands). Just because it's an inexpensive camera, doesn't mean you should just say "hell with it" and buy whatever you see first without doing at least a bit of research first.

I'll recommend one Nikon...to get you started: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-NIKKOR/dp/B00HQ4W61E/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1416605858&sr=1-3

Squid

camera.gif Thanks very much, you two.  I appreciate it.  The Nikon CoolPix really does take nice pictures and I like everything you've said, Snappy-Do!  Thanks again.  Merry Christmas to me!  I'm goin' shoppin'!  blowkisses.gif

gran2x2

The one I have has a zoom feature that is great and easy to use and what I like is the speed you can get to take pictures in fast sequence. Some have like a 10 second delay between photo snaps..

Squid

which model do you have, Gran?  I'm going to be going to Best Buy to look at the cameras in the next couple of weeks (waiting for a Christmas sale).  I'll be sure to look at yours.

gran2x2

I have the S3300...but I think it may have been given some upgrades and a new number...

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-S3300.html

The new version is a little fancier I think with wifi and a couple things...It's on sale at best Buy I think..about 120$

Nikon - Coolpix S5300 16.0-Megapixel Digital Camera

Squid

Tx very much.  I did more investigating and the latest model is the S6800.  It goes for about $170 and can take videos and has WiFi.  The problem  with all the WiFis is that it is not automatic.  You have to have an iProduct to use the WiFi and I don't.  You can't send the pics/videos to a cloud, either.   I'll go to BB to check things out.  Thanks again!

gran2x2

I hate when a good product comes out and then they try to "improve" it with crap you don't want or need....Hope you find the right one for you tumbsup.gif

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview