This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Is there life on other planets?

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

Here's a video from 1962, where they ask various people on the streets if they think there is life on other planets.

This was sent to me this morning and I thought it was interesting.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

smokyrain

For sure, some different replies back then. They answer but not sure why that is their answer giggle2.gif

Squid

Mayhem

They say it's statistically impossible for us to be alone in the universe.

It's due to the fact there are billions of planets in our galaxy ... and billions of galaxies in the universe. I don't we can grasp how big our universe really is.

Squid

Without a doubt.  We'd be excessively egocentric if we were to think that life could not begin elsewhere, especially considering what Mayhem has already pointed out.

AustinBennett

No doubt other forms of life exist elsewhere. The evolution of life into humans is another matter. The process has to take a unique path and has to be rare. Humans have only existed about 30,000 years and the planet is 4 billion years old. Do the math...we've been here but a millisecond. Other forms of life and various extinctions existed in between.
Intelligent life is probably extremely rare. A complex pattern must play out. Our planets are such that we are shielded from asteroid strikes by gravity. Water exist because of unique conditions. The process isn't a simple one. Survival plays an important role. When people wonder why we've never found evidence of intelligent alien life, its not that difficult to understand.

Mayhem

Quote from: AustinBennett on August 05, 2018, 05:13:07 AMSurvival plays an important role. When people wonder why we've never found evidence of intelligent alien life, its not that difficult to understand.

We pretty much have to rely on them finding us as we just don't have the technology yet. We're still having a heck of a time trying to find a missing planet in our own solar system (Planet 9). Also, we've listed to radio waves for 20+ years, and only has one "wow" moment so far.

As for UFO's and aliens ... that's a touchy subject. In my opinion, way too many people have seen or experienced something just to dismiss it.

S1lent

Hummmmmm,
I wonder if there is another "Squid" somewhere in another universe.  They would be so lucky!

S1lent

Squid

Quote from: s1lentscream on August 08, 2018, 02:43:35 PM
Hummmmmm,
I wonder if there is another "Squid" somewhere in another universe.  They would be so lucky!

S1lent
embrace.gif embrace.gif embrace.gif

Mayhem

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview