This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Missing Operation System

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

My trusted and wonderful desktop computer has come up with a new message:  Missing Operation System.  It's a black screen with this message.

I have tried everything to get into the BIOS system to make a change or two but can't access it.  I've tried just about every F key (F1, F2, etc), the Fn key, delete, pause, etc.  These were recommended online.  Nothing works. 

The desktop is my primary work computer and I'm sick over this.  Any advice?  Everything I've found online is not working.

Yes, I have backed up my important stuff but I LOVE THIS COMPUTER!

Thanks in advance.

S1lent

Greetings,
No help here.  Sorry.  I've googled "Missing Operation System" no help.  There was lots of suggestions...None of them were any help.
Best of luck Squid,
S1lent

Squid

Mayhem

It sounds like your hard drive has failed.

Missing Operating System

Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer.

Cause
This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

- The basic input/output system (BIOS) does not detect the hard disk.
- The hard disk is damaged.
- Sector 0 of the physical hard disk drive has an incorrect or malformed master boot record (MBR).
- Note Some third-party programs or disk corruption can damage an MBR.
- An incompatible partition is marked as Active.
- A partition that contains the MBR is no longer active.

It's odd you can't access the BIOS though. What company did you buy the computer from?

Also, you could try this :

------------------------------

Missing Operating System in Windows!

It really can't be more annoying than this: when sitting in front of the computer and start it, it gives you back a message saying "Missing operating system" or "Operating system not found" on boot. The reasons for these errors are hard drive is corrupted, Boot record is corrupted, BIOs did not detect hard disk, missing or corrupted command.con, virus infection, etc.

Fix it with Windows OS DVD

1. Insert Windows OS DVD on your computer.
2. Click the key when you are asked to (to boot from DVD).
3. Then choose "Repair your computer", not "Install now", remember this.
4. Select the operating system after the installer searches for Windows installation, and click "Next".
5. Then click "Startup Repair". It will automatically fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

LittleFawn

I had a similar problem and was missing a hard drive. I had to get the Geek Squad to fix it. I hope you can get it fixed. It does sound like a hard drive failure like Mayhem said.

Squid

OMG, I'm in.  I was finally able to get into BIOS, although my BIOS looks nothing like those pictured online.  Everything is called other stuff.  I took a chance on a couple of settings and I'm in somehow.  I have no idea what I was doing.  I prayed to the computer gods and they must have listened.  Now I'm busy making sure all my back ups are completed.  This can be scary stuff!

Mayhem

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it all sorted out!

Squid

Thanks so much.  You're too kind with the "sorted out".  What you should be saying is "Glad your shots in the dark worked out".  LOL

LittleFawn

Squid

Thank you.  I was really feeling sick over it.  I've double backed up everything!  Triple, in some cases!

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on November 15, 2020, 03:03:25 PM
Thank you.  I was really feeling sick over it.  I've double backed up everything!  Triple, in some cases!

I can imagine! I have a separate HD that I back everything I care about on to it. Also, I have a another Mini-ITX computer dedicated to receiving backups from the server that powers this website. However, that is fully automated so I don't even think about it.

S1lent

Greetings,
Been having a "minor" problem with a  2017 HP Pavilion an intermittent Beep.  Did all the recommended solutions...replaced CPU fan changed and cleaned RAM.  Re-attached CPU heat sink with Thermal Compound.  Still bad...been that way for over a year.

Good news.  Down loaded HP Support Assistant.  The software found several "minor" problems and fixed them all.

So might help others to download Dell Support Assistant or HP Support Assistant.

Hope this can help
S1lent

Squid

Good for you, S1lent.  Computer stuff can be tricky.  I have an HP that started overheating.  I want to try to replace the fan myself but I'm scared!

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on November 20, 2020, 04:14:46 PM
I have an HP that started overheating.  I want to try to replace the fan myself but I'm scared!

No, don't be scared! It *should* be pretty straight forward. You'll save a lot of money doing it yourself. I'm sure there are a ton of YouTube videos on how to change it. Check them out, and then at least you'll know exactly what to expect before getting started.

Squid

I might as well try.  The laptop just sits there, doing nothing for over a year now.  What have I got to lose?

snowflower

Quote from: Squid on November 21, 2020, 03:09:05 AM
I might as well try.  The laptop just sits there, doing nothing for over a year now.  What have I got to lose?
I keep mine sitting on a laptop fan, if that's any help?

Squid

Quote from: snowflower on November 21, 2020, 09:12:56 AM
I keep mine sitting on a laptop fan, if that's any help?
thanks, snookie, I tried that and it only helped for a little while.  The heat was too much for it

S1lent

Greetings,
I'm guessing that your computer is an HP Laptop.  If not go to youtube and search how to replace the fan in my "computer"  be sure to include Make, Model, Year, and any other info.  Heck it might just be dirty.

Here is the video on a HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RTyFrIhpp0

Good luck you can do it.
S1lent

Squid

Thank you!  I can't find my set of small screwdrivers!  They are always with my toolbox but they're not there.  I have to have those small suckers for the small screws.

Mayhem

Quote from: Squid on November 21, 2020, 03:09:05 AM

You can do this! The only downside is that if you need to order any parts online, it make take longer than normal to arrive. I've been waiting a over week for a new mouse, and it usually only take 48 hours. These shipping companies have new covid restrictions and are getting backlogged.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview