This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Jet Set Solitaire : Win 40 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Jewel Academy : Remove 75 Vertical Arrows this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Steroids/Baseball

Started by Homer,

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Anyone have any thoughts on the recent news in baseball of players using steroids? ???

Should Barry Bonds home run records be allowed to stand?

Should the players involved be suspended?

Here's my opinion....

Bonds is probably going to break the home run record. Should his name go into the record books? I would have to say right now that since baseball did not have steroids on their banned substance list that the records should stand. This recent news will certainly diminsh his assault on the records and tarnish the image of a player who is probably the best player from my generation. Steroids may make you stronger but you still haver to have amazing hand/eye coordination to do what Bonds has done over his career.

I still think that what the players involved did is very wrong. Although steroids were not illegal in baseball until recently they are illegal in the eyes of the law and those involved should be held accountable for their actions.

Baseball has to come out and take a strong stance on this issue. It sends the wrong message to young people with aspirations of playing professional sports.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

LadyMystik

I think his record will stand no matter what. If he tops 755, people will remember it, wether or not it's in the books.

I think baseball should do more against steroids. On a personal note, my fiancee tried out for the Padres a couple of years ago. Was the #1 pitcher there, until a guy a few inches taller than him beat him out with a great fastball. Eric's always told me one thing he wanted to do was go back in time, start using steroids, and be able to beat out the guy that beat him. Aparently, the only thing the guy had on him to add power was a few inches, and my guy thinks had he taken something, the drugs would have been able to make up for the strength he lacked due to being a bit shorter.

Of course, I know my sweetie regrets missing out on his dream, but I know at this point I have nothing to worry about (he's not a druggie!). But, had steroids not been so widely used in the MLB, he wouldn't even to be able to consider that an option. He was ranked by Collegiate Baseball as one of the top pitchers in the country while in college, had an amazing record, and I believe struck out 13 of 15 at the Padres try-outs. He has no reason to want steroids to better his game. But, we all know that the great guys in the game today do something.

If what they do can have an emotional effect on a 25-year-old ballplayer, it sure can for a more impressionable  12, 13, or 17 year old player.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for rambling, but this is something I really am passionate about. Hope I made sense. :)

(Forgot to mention, a scout for the Royals came out to one of his high school games and wanted to sign him, but he turned it down to go to college. So, he really WAS good...and still is in my POV)

Metalli-Chick

I think the records should be added in a different category, not erased but just in a "league of their own"  although it was not illegal at the time it is still a punch to the gut.  Its kinda like they are taking them for OUR benefit.....THE FANS.  Would baseball have made a comeback if McGwire didnt get mysteriously huge and start the slamfest over again.  Would SanFran be such a baseball haven if Bonds didn't juice it up a bit.  We all like to see the long ball it keeps the game fun and full of surprises.  Thats what they want the people to like them and if they do that its more money for them.  Best way to make money is bring in the runs and the fans. Thats what is happening.  Is it fair to Griffey who has the best swing in baseball.....that he cant keep up because of injuries for one but he doesn't posses the power to crush it 450 ft.  It comes down to morals and examples.  What will the thoughts be if highschool kids die because of steroids (heart problems etc.)  Then where will the blame shift.  I say stop it now before the wrong message is sent.

LadyMystik

Quote from: Metalli-Chick on December 06, 2004, 05:52:40 PM
Is it fair to Griffey who has the best swing in baseball.....that he cant keep up because of injuries for one but he doesn't posses the power to crush it 450 ft. 

I love Griffey! And, he did at one point have the power to hit a 450+ foot homer. But, injuries have held him back. He has been playing in the majors for over a decade, a dream many men wish they could make come true.  He is an amazing guy, and the only baseball player I've ever really looked up to. I mean, he made is MLB debut on my birthday. How could I not love him? :)

Adacia

well, I am not a fan of sports at all, but keep up with the news. Hey, like said "in the eyes of the law". Well, if one lives by a rule book fine. Some do whatever gets them by. If I were popping pills like Rush Limburger, I'd be in jail.
   I am not one to judge what people take into their own bodies. It's not my thing, but all the power to them. They are not hurting anyone but themselves if even that. I have been a faithful smoker of cheech & chong since the 80's and have kept to myself and everything has been great. It helps me to relax.
  I could get busted....but when it comes down to it, the only reason these things are illegal on is because of $$$$ and Uncle Sam isn't getting their cut from taxes...something like that lol. You do what have to do, and as long as no one is getting hurt then who cares? After all, the declaration of independence was written on hemp paper, but Clinton didn't inhale. (right)!
  lmao.....happy pogo guys

katieshunnybunny(rangerboy)

Don't get me wrong, Bonds is one of the greatest players to play the game but there is no way that his records should stand.  I know that there hasn't been a rule on steroid use in baseball but it is still a fedreal law.  You can go to jail for along time.  And also does anyone remember in what happened in the Olympic trials this year.  I guess call me old fashion but I think that if you have to use a performance enhancing drug to make it then you are not good enough and should not be there.  Sorry to keep going on but if you ever look at Bonds' rookie card you can see the difference.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview