This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Canasta HD : Make 30 Canastas this week! [Download Cheat]
Sweet Tooth Town : Collect 80 stars this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

"w00t" crowned word of year by U.S. dictionary

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayhem

BOSTON (Reuters) - "w00t," an expression of joy coined by online gamers, was crowned word of the year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.

Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. said "w00t" -- typically spelled with two zeros -- reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and cell phone text-messaging.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

TmT

Urban Dictionary Defines W00t:

Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "w00t".

"w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

"I defeated the dark sorcerer! Woot!"

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on December 12, 2007, 11:48:43 AM
BOSTON (Reuters) - "w00t," an expression of joy coined by online gamers, was crowned word of the year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.

Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. said "w00t" -- typically spelled with two zeros -- reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and cell phone text-messaging.

So. is it no longer cool to say WTG?

Trying to stay young and hip <<<<<  ABraveLady

gator8_24

TmT

Quote from: ABraveLady on December 12, 2007, 03:42:54 PM

lol.. I love it...rofl so hard .. G/f we are all as young as we feel. You know what they say, "age aint nuthin but a number".  So we can hip at 65 sayin w2g , w00t, and the most played out one "its allgood!" lol

Stinkerbell

Quote from: TmT on December 12, 2007, 04:34:30 PM

lol.. I love it...rofl so hard .. G/f we are all as young as we feel. You know what they say, "age aint nuthin but a number".  So we can hip at 65 sayin w2g , w00t, and the most played out one "its allgood!" lol

LOL!!!  I'm only 26 myself.  I've been 26 so long, I have it down pat!!!   :-*

TmT

Quote from: ABraveLady on December 12, 2007, 05:24:18 PM
Quote from: TmT on December 12, 2007, 04:34:30 PM

LOL!!!  I'm only 26 myself.  I've been 26 so long, I have it down pat!!!   :-*
Rofl.. my mother-in-law use to say she was 29 and each year that they celebrated her b-day... man!! lmao..her cake said 29 yrs-old...lol <loved her very much, may she rest in peace>

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview