Canasta HD : Make 30 Canastas this week! [Download Cheat]
Sweet Tooth Town : Collect 80 stars this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Adding Memory to computer

Started by oldlady,

Previous topic - Next topic

oldlady

girls18.gif O+O

Can someone tell me how hard it is to add memory to your computer? I have vista and want to add more memory, but wondering if I should let Geek Squad do it, but will cost more that way. Any hints or ideas appreaciated :^*

Homer

It only takes a few minutes to do.

The link below may help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

Even though it is very easy to do if you aren't careful you could damage your pc. You need to make sure you install the correct memory type also.

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

oldlady

PB On The Run

I upgraded my comp from 256 mb to 2-512mb memory cards.  Like Homer said, it isn't hard to do, but you have to make sure you get the right one.  With it being winter time, you also have to be careful of static discharge.  Not only can that damage a memory card, but you can damage things inside the tower too.

BadgeBabe

Another thing, if you aren't tech savvy, or don't read your PC's owner manual, opening the computer and adding a memory module voids the manufacturer's warranty in most companies' product warranties. It is supposed to be done by a qualified service technician for the warranty to remain in good standing.

Stupid rule, I didn't make it, don't shoot the messenger, just telling you what my computer expert hubby told me. He always orders our computers with the max. possible RAM installed from the factory for that reason.
Something to think about in the future...

swamp

Quote from: Squid on March 03, 2008, 01:13:03 PM
I went to that site and put in "How to land a husband"...... it came back with info on how to get on every Disneyland ride.  LOL, that figures.....

:)) :)) :))
:o :)) :)) :)) :-[

shoes

I went to that site and put in "How to land a husband"...... it came back with info on how to get on every Disneyland ride.  LOL, that figures.....

Is there any difference?? :))) :)) :))) :)) :))) :))

oldlady

girls18.gif sg.gif :^* :^*
     oh no, now that's something to think about................thanks for the info :ooo

BadgeBabe

Quote from: shoes on March 03, 2008, 06:53:43 PM

Is there any difference?? :))) :)) :))) :)) :))) :))

My husband obviously came from the graveyard of the Haunted Mansion. You know, the place outside the waiting area with all the moans, groans, cobwebs, and rusty sayings like " I told her I was sick".

BadgeBabe

Quote from: oldlady on March 03, 2008, 06:54:23 PM
girls18.gif sg.gif :^* :^*
     oh no, now that's something to think about................thanks for the info :ooo

Well, Sugar, if it needed to be done, it needed to be done..  We have ordered RAM from some place called New Egg in the distant past before computer warranties became so important with all the notebooks we have on our wireless home network. As far as I know, hubby just kept the original factory memory module, and if the thing needed service, he put the factory spec. RAM back in.
Also, I had a Toshiba which was affected by the ground fault. It lacked grounding against static electricity and would shut off for no apparent reason. I battled Comp USA for 2 years over that lemon. Finally, we invoked the lemon statute in our credit card agreement, and Comp USA accepted my notebook back and gave me a new one. Out came the upgraded RAM module or modules and hubby reset the specs back to factory original.
I just wanted to make people aware of the largest RAMification of a DIY RAM upgrade. :)

Sadly, the computer superstores are going out of business, at least in our area. We had Microcomputer Centers ( of a name something like that) and Comp USA where we used to live in a beautiful suburb of Atlanta. Comp USA has gone under everywhere due to their folly of an idea to go into home theatre 5 years later than any other " supercenter" type store, and I don't think Texas has the Microcomputer Centers..
We do have Frye's, which is a computer specialty walk in store. Hubby, who does quite a lot with home networking, goes there often.

ALL of these retail places where you may have purchased your computer either have a certified technician to do simple tasks like install factory sealed new RAM (don't go to eBay and buy used and expect them to touch it) or they will send it to the manufacturer service center nearest you.
It's a racket, and a way to get out of honoring your PC warranty, IMO.

bubbleup

Hello wonder if anyone can help me...My hard drive space is now at 5.GB. and it depletes daily. I do the clean up at least weekly and gain some back but not much. I bought memory today but it didn't affect it. I think it just gave me more ram. How do I get more GB. on my hard disc?I feel like I wasted my money since I can't take the card back. What the heck was I supposed to get? Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I'm not exactly computer savvy. Any help would be appreciated  help.gif

Homer

Memory (RAM) will not increase your hard drive size.

Your pc must be pretty old to only have a 5GB hard drive. To increase your hard drive size you would need to install a new hard drive. If I were in your shoes I would buy a new pc. Most places like Best Buy have desktops for under $300

bubbleup

Homer

Quote from: bubbleup on April 15, 2009, 08:22:38 PM
thanks Homer I was afraid of that  sad.gif.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Is your HD only 5GB or do you only have 5GB left for storage?

Go into Start>My Computer>Single left clik to highlight the C drive and give me the details from the left side of the window.

arniebear

Take the memory back and buy a new HDD, if you only have 5gb left you either need to get a larger internal HDD or start getting rid of stuff.  You can also get an external HDD strictly for storage and keep things that take up space like pictures, music and video on the external which will free up space on you internal drive.

bubbleup

Sorry it took so long to respond. When I hover my mouse over the C drive it says 'free space-6.33GB total size 18.6 GB'. I disabled the hibernation mode and was able to free up some space that way. I've deleted all I think I can including my deluxe games that I haven't even finished. I can't return the memory(no refunds) and can't afford a new hard drive just yet as I had to borrow money just to buy the dang memory lol.

Homer

Quote from: bubbleup on April 16, 2009, 08:52:34 PM
Sorry it took so long to respond. When I hover my mouse over the C drive it says 'free space-6.33GB total size 18.6 GB'. I disabled the hibernation mode and was able to free up some space that way. I've deleted all I think I can including my deluxe games that I haven't even finished. I can't return the memory(no refunds) and can't afford a new hard drive just yet as I had to borrow money just to buy the dang memory lol.

A 20 GB HD is pretty small. When did you buy your pc? Is there a reason you can't live with only 6GB of storage? Unless you are downloading all kinds of stuff and have a lot of digital media like pictures and movies 6GB of free space should be enough for you. You can delete programs you don't use, move pictures to photobucket or cd to free up space.

bubbleup

I bought this computer 'used' for like 50 bucks years ago guess it is old. I mainly use it for pogo. I don't have lots of pictures on it to move(maybe 10 of my great nephew I received in an email) and I don't download songs. I'm only worried because the last computer I had died at about 5 GB while playing pogo. Each time I use it the amount goes down even more. It stinks because even though this computer is old it runs smooth. I was on my nephews pc yesterday which has double the amount of everything but it's very sluggish and I feel like I'm on dial-up. Owell thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this one lasts till I can afford a hard drive.  beer11.gif

Homer

You can find used ones for about $75 on www.pricewatch.com

Try to pick one that is compatible with the memory you just bought.

If you need help picking one out let me know

bubbleup

thank you very much Homer..I could use the help selecting one when some extra funds appear

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview