This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Canasta HD : Make 30 Canastas this week! [Download Cheat]
Sweet Tooth Town : Collect 80 stars this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

CDC: Tomatoes Eyed in Salmonella Cases

Started by Stinkerbell,

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinkerbell

I went to Pollo Loco today and they are still not serving tomatoes, neither is In N Out.
So, has this spread?

Salmonella illnesses reported in 9 states; tomatoes a common factor in Texas, New Mexico

By MIKE STOBBE AP Medical Writer

ATLANTA June 3, 2008 (AP)
An outbreak of salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has now been reported in nine states, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.
Lab tests have confirmed 40 illnesses in Texas and New Mexico as the same type of salmonella, right down to the genetic fingerprint. An investigation by Texas and New Mexico health authorities and the Indian Health Service tied those cases to uncooked, raw, large tomatoes.
At least 17 people in Texas and New Mexico have been hospitalized. None have died, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Another 30 people have become sick with the same Salmonella Saintpaul infection in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Idaho, Illinois and Indiana. CDC investigators are looking into whether tomatoes were culprits there, too.
In Texas and New Mexico, raw large tomatoes — including Roma and red round tomatoes — were found to be a common factor in the 40 illnesses. But no farm, distributor or grocery chain has been identified as the main source, said Casey Barton Behravesh, a CDC epidemiologist working on the investigation.

"The specific type and source of tomatoes is under investigation," she said.
Salmonella is a bacterial infection that lives in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals. The bacteria are usually transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces.
Most infected people suffer fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps starting 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness tends to last four to seven days.
Many people recover without treatment. However, severe infection and even death is possible. Infants, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are at greatest risk for severe infections.
In Texas and New Mexico, the patients ranged in age from ages 3 to 82. Of the 40, 38 were interviewed. Most said they ate raw tomatoes from either stores or restaurants before becoming ill between April 23 and May 27.

Homer

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Homer on June 10, 2008, 03:02:13 PM
Crazy Chicken?  :)) :)) :))

Yep, yep!  It's DEEEELISHUS!  Haven't you ever eaten there?  El Pollo Loco.

Homer

Quote from: Stinkerbell on June 10, 2008, 03:22:38 PM
Yep, yep!  It's DEEEELISHUS!  Haven't you ever eaten there?  El Pollo Loco.

Never heard of it.  :-[

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

MsMissy

THis is such sad news to hear, as i myself love tomatoes. Hope they find out where it really started soon & get with the problem.  :o

harley89

At least my tomatoes are getting close.  I love them but only eat them when I get them off my own vines

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview