PlayBuddy
June 16, 2024, 09:20:56 PM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Mahjong Sanctuary : Win 30 games this week! [Download Cheat]
Thousand Island Solitaire HD : Play 160 distance cards this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

TV access/Cable/Satellite/etc

Started by Squid,

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Can anyone out there help me with any information?  I am fed up with my cable system (CableVision).  They keep increasing my bill due to Sports access fees rising.  I DO NOT EVER WATCH any of it.  I will watch the Superbowl... that's it - and it's on a free broadcast channel.  If I choose to have the sports part of my package removed, I lose other channels that I do enjoy at times (I'm not a BIG TV watcher).  I'm sick of the ever increasing fees.  Also, I've paid for the boxes I use 10 times over.  Of course we must rent them, are not allowed to purchase them.  I do not have Wii or Playstation.  Can anyone recommend a service available to the New York City Metro area that would give me TV access with some cable channels (Bravo, Life, TMC, etc) that won't break the bank?  I do not have to have premium stations (HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore, Max, etc.).   I'm so aggravated.   swear2.gif

gran2x2

I have used directv for over 10 years and have been happy with them 99.9% of the time. Very rarely do I have rate increases and have always had great customer service. If I have a problem they have always been very fast at fixing the issue.

Sue

I live in Michigan. I have Charter and for cable, internet and phone it cost 142.00 a month. I was thinking of getting new service at the same address but in someone else's name (My mom) I can get Charter for 90.00 a month for a year with the promotions they have for new service.

snap20

We have DirecTV too, and been happy with it. Take a look at their basic package, you get 130 channels, no sports ones. I see that Bravo and LIFE are included in the list. The base price is 49.99 a month, but their deal is the first 12 months for 19.99 a month. Of course you need a clear view of the southern sky.

The only time we lose the signal is during a very heavy rainstorm (thunder clouds) or if snow gets built up on the dish, which can happen here.

Squid

Thanks very much.  I guess I'll have to switch to satellite and get an intro deal.  Not sure.  I am getting the triple play (tv, phone, internet) and getting satellite TV would mean other problems with phone and internet.  I'm about ready to put an antenna on my roof and start using smoke signals to communicate.  I feel like prices are getting out of control.  Is it me?

Stinkerbell

We've had Verizon FIOs and love it. I don't remember having any problems at all in 8 years.

snap20

Prices ARE out of control. No question. A lot of people are starting to cut the cord completely (except for internet). Depending on how much you really want certain channels, you can try just going with something like a combination of Hulu, Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. The overall cost could be cheaper. Then you just get an OTA antenna for local channels. Living in NYC, I would think the OTA signals would be pretty strong for you, and that would include HD.

Have you tried calling your cable company and threatening to change/cancel? A lot of times they'll offer you whatever their latest deal is to get you to stay. That also depends on the competition in your area. If you have another option for cable, you can play off of them, otherwise use satellite as an excuse. Doesn't hurt to try.

In those triple packs, the TV is by far the most expensive (thank ESPN in particular for that). You may lose some discount because of the change, but really is it worth paying an extra $10 a month to save 45+? (or whatever the cost is) Something to think about. :)

disneyland lady

Because I worked for Warner Music I was grandfathered into Time Warner cable for years. After I was gone and had to pay for my own I went to Directv. I have been happy for 4 yrs but.... eventually you no longer qualify for the special price you got at the beginning because you have passed that 2 yr mark. I get $200 ($10 credit fir 10 mons & $100 prepaid VISA) for referring someone - anyone - even cephalopods (hint hint) and they get the $200 credits too.

I have only had the satellite go out once for half an hour in 4 yrs because of high winds but I have a friend in FL that has issues all the time with their constantly changing weather. This would be an issue for you at times of the year. Their packages start at $19.99 a mon for first 12 mons but they also have new upcoming fees (even channels like CBS are charging outlets more and they pass those on). The neat thing I like about it is many of the channels now are available by using your Directv password on your ipad or phone so you can watch Game of Thrones (if you have HBO) or even SNL while taking a break from life.

And I agree with snap - calling your company and letting them know you are serious about finding someone new will  all of a sudden bring out the "save at all costs" mode. I do it once a year and usually end up getting a couple of premium channels for 3 to 6 months for free. (You have to call and cancel before that ends or you will be charged and they will try to toss a 'change of service' fee too - don't buy that!)

Squid

I had a satellite dish years ago and wasn't crazy about it due to weather.  On days when the tv is wanted the most (snow days), I would consistently lose the signal.  It was frustrating.  I can't have FIOS because it requires the laying down of fiber optics which would require digging up the landscaping and roads in our townhouse community.  The repair of all that digging would be our responsibility and it's a cost we can't absorb.  I've tried the tactic of letting the cable peeps know I'm prepared to leave if they don't do something to help me but, at this point, they don't offer much.  They used to offer quite a bit but now the honeymoon is over.  UGH.

MsMissy

I also have Direct TV, but only had it now for 2 months. having to learn all the different stations numbers as I have had Comcast for so long I don't even remember. But so far im starting to remember them. and my daughter-in-law & Son got this forme when I moved into my mobile home. They have Comcast which is always going out or slowing down speed in internet. My Son wants to get Direct TV & I think he will soon he likes  it when he comes over to visit me & watches it here at my place. They got 1 of those specials on sale around Christmas time & they are paying for mine.  Not worried about premium channels, but I no I got Encore & 1 other. Sofar I haven't had any problems with it either.

gran2x2

One bit of advice that we learned the hard way...If you go with a sat system like directv..have them put your dish on a pole cemented in the ground and not on your roof...being Fl and the winds etc..being up higher can catch the winds and throw off the position...

Squid

Do they do the pole installation when requested or must I meet some sort of criteria?

Stinkerbell

See, I'm surprised by all the Direct TV love. My dad had nothing but problems, and my BFF's husband cancelled his DTV after about 4  months. I'm steering clear based on having people close to me hating it. Verizon FIOS has been amazing.

gran2x2

They asked us ground or roof...I think you just have to tell them not on the roof...unless you have a ton of trees blocking the signal  they will put it where you want it...

snowflower

All this is very interesting ... same problems here in Canada. At first we were with Bell. That was a BIG mistake. They kept charging us for lots of things we didn't ask for and didn't want. Ex: A monthly fee of $2.00 for a paper bill, re-bundling our chosen bundles, escalating fees and other charges that we were never informed of from the start. At their own suggestion they sent a tech. here to the house to deal with some issues.  He left a bill on the table for $99.99 plus tax on his way out the door. The tech fixed Bell's own installation issues. Even though they promised they'd remove all the unwanted charges from the bill, they never, ever did. I was on the phone monthly with them over some new and unfamiliar charge on the bill. It cost us to get rid of them .. but worth it.

Now we have our phone and internet though our telephone company (Bell Aliant) .. cost - 103.00 per month including long distance (Nova Scotia wide only).  Now we've learned that BELL is buying out Bell Aliant so here we go again I guess.  We get our TV programming though Shaw Direct at 54.00 per month (on a promotional deal). Here's the problem we've seen with the PROMOTIONS with ALL TV Programming Providers. They tell you that once the promotion is up (1 year) you can always get another one at the end of that year.  Well, guess what? Our bill increased from $54.00 to $90.90 at the end of that year. When I called Shaw Direct, they told me ... Promotional deals are for NEW CUSTOMERS only. Now they tell us we're paying a leasing fee for the receivers for 1 year until they're paid for.

After I hung up the phone I called our local Cablevision company ... and they want MORE money for their service than the system we now have. Problem is, we are TV watchers ... certain programs, news, Discovery, Comedy ... the Old Comedy Programs, Coronation Street and others like these.  Even so, if we do find something cheaper, it's going to cost us to get out of this one like it did getting away from Bell ... so what do you do??? Maybe doing without and going back to radio is a good answer - except we don't get any reception here on this hill on the island. Not our answer but maybe someone else's???  What a mess ... remember the good ole' rabbit ears days? ... Well, if there's any good answers that include Canada I'd appreciate it too. Good luck everyone!

gigi

We have switched so many times and what one does, the other makes up for it in other areas......... Personally I think it's just what you want to put up with.  We just recently upgraded, actually saved $30 a month, but getting netflix with our cable provider eliminated on demand................. at least I haven't been able to find it.  We are with WOW cable.  Upgrading is never what you think it will be........... ability to record more programs at the same time while watching something different, but there is a catch to that too.  Instead of me being able to record what I want on my tv and hubby recording on his tv, we are combined so................ if you're still with me on this, we get a total of 4 dvr records total, not each and if we like the same program (it takes me sometimes two days to get to a show) we have to check in with eachother and ask did you watch or can I delete.  Certainly not a positive in my book  and EVERYTHING is so different, but getting used to the new look and new remote................. sort of.
So................. I don't think it makes any difference if it's cable or satellite, premium channels or not, they eventually get you one way or another and you don't find out, really find out until you are actually switched over.  It's all a crap shoot in my book..............

Squid

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate all the input.  I won't be making a decision until June for a change in July.  I'm getting freebies right now that will expire at that time.  I don't really watch much TV but when I'm home, it's almost always on when the music isn't playing.  The TV is on but I'm not watching.  I just wonder if it's worth it... paying all this money when I watch so little.  I'm really at the point where I might look into a good digital antenna and just get the 10-20 channels off the air. 

Thanks again!

snowflower

Quote from: gigi on February 06, 2015, 08:30:55 AM
I don't think it makes any difference if it's cable or satellite, premium channels or not, they eventually get you one way or another and you don't find out, really find out until you are actually switched over.  It's all a crap shoot in my book..............

huh.gif And I think you are absolutely right gigi!!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview