PlayBuddy
May 28, 2024, 11:58:38 AM

This week's Club Pogo challenges!
Trizzle HD : Match 5 or more dolls in one move 170 times this week! [Download Cheat]
A Way With Words : Make 80 words with all yellow letters this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

HELP!!!!

Started by Thisnamenottaken,

Previous topic - Next topic

Thisnamenottaken

I need help....

I am running Windows XP
I cannot shut my computer down.... No matter what I do it insists on being on... it wont do anything if I tell it to shut down and if I shut it down illegally it goes off but 5 minutes later I come back into the room and its back on.... what do I do???

Dream Faerie

Thisnamenottaken

Alrighty then.... now that is technical...lol

I was seriously wondering if someone knew why it was doing that.  Ive never had that problem before and its freaking me out... will not reboot or shut down from start menu and it I turn it off illegially it goes off but when I come back into the room later its back on....

SpeedLimits

well sometimes my computer doesnt even shut down. It freezes so much. It sucks too.

Homer

Are you sure you are clicking shut down and not restart? ???

PogoCheats - It's all about the badges!!!

SpeedLimits

yes i did.

sometimes it goes weird and takes so long.

Homer

When's the last time you scanned your pc for viruses and spyware? That could be slowing you down. ;)

yerxa

How could it turn itself back on....... once you shut off power from it.......

Thisnamenottaken

Everything on the computer works great... not slow or sluggish.... Never freezes..... but if I hit reboot it does NOTHING or shutdown from the start menu it does NOTHING   So finally I shut it down from illegally and it shuts down of course.... but when I come back into the room 5-10 minutes later its back on..... and no I dont have any ghosts....lol    Its making me insane

Homer

Nancy, have you been stealing Homer's beer behind his back? ??? :P j/k :-*

Sounds pretty spooky to me.

Have you tried scanning the pc for spyware/malware?

eminem

call an exorcist!!  and fast!!  lol >:D O0

DEBKARLAR

unplug it from wall if it come back on w/o power source call ghost busters

Maelstrom

EEK! I've seen XP reboot itself for no reason at all, but that takes the cake.  :-\
Normally computers don't turn themselves back on, but there's 2 things I can think of that might be the culprit.

1. It's in a Suspended or Hibernation mode. There is another called Standby, but all three of them are power-saving modes. Most of them don't automatically turn on unless something activates it.( Like a keystroke, or move of the mouse, etc.) You can find these settings in XP by going to the Start button, and selecting the Control Panel. Look for an icon that says 'Power Management' and click it. You'll find different settings for each of them, I usually set them all to 'Never'.

2. It's possible you have a Trojan installed on your pc. A program that gives remote access of your pc to another user, someone you probably don't know online. The only way they could jumpstart your pc is if your internet cable is still hooked up to your pc.
Every users nightmare.  :(

If you do a virus scan and nothing comes up it's probably a power saving mode. If it did detect a trojan, delete it immediately.

badcrazygirl

i never had that problem b/4 but then again who would wanna hack in to my prick A computer LOL

Homer

Quote from: darkearthgoddess on September 25, 2004, 07:50:13 AM
whats malware?

Definitions of Malware on the Web:

A generic term increasingly being used to describe any form of malicious software; eg, viruses, trojan horses, malicious active content, etc.
www.itsecurity.com/ms.htm

MALicious softWARE, including viruses, worms, Trojans, Denial of Service and other such attacks. Sometimes referred to as rogue programs.
www.gslis.utexas.edu/~netsec/gloss.html

Malicious software, like worms, viruses, and trojan horses.
instaar.colorado.edu/~peckhams/gloss.html

<Back to Last Page> <Full Glossary>
antivirus.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-malware.htm

is malicious software that is designed by people to attack some part of a computer system.
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072464011/student_view0/chapter7/glossary.html

A common name for all kinds of unwanted software such as viruses, worms, trojans and jokes.
www.virusinfo.bz/Virus_Glossary.htm

badcrazygirl

wow ty but i don't think i have any malware in here my comps works fine
i just cleaned it and checked it i'm all good

Dream Faerie

Quote from: Thisnamenottaken on September 25, 2004, 05:37:21 AM
Alrighty then.... now that is technical...lol

I was seriously wondering if someone knew why it was doing that.  Ive never had that problem before and its freaking me out... will not reboot or shut down from start menu and it I turn it off illegially it goes off but when I come back into the room later its back on....

OMG! I'm sorry, I must have misread, I thought you asked how to shut it off... Sorry!

Wheeler

Quote from: Thisnamenottaken on September 24, 2004, 09:18:32 PM
I need help....

I am running Windows XP
I cannot shut my computer down.... No matter what I do it insists on being on... it wont do anything if I tell it to shut down and if I shut it down illegally it goes off but 5 minutes later I come back into the room and its back on.... what do I do???

Are you still having this problem?  If so, please post what kind of computer you have, WindozeXP (home) (Pro.) Or what versom of Windoze you running? IF you know anything aobut computers,  the more info you can give about the computer the better?  What anti Virus you have? Brand and verson? Worse case. you have someone that has an interest in your computer and what is on it. But I do not think that is your problem.  Unplug the computer for a min. of 5 minutes WITH the phone line unpluged. Start up the computer (Still with the phone line unpluged) and defrag and see what happens. If it is not fixed I will C if maybe I can help you.  I am new here and just trying to help out a little where I can. (If this is allowed) I can be reached at <admin edit>

Admin Note* I removed your IM for your own protection. If The member would like your assistance you can exchange info via PM.

Thisnamenottaken

Thanks much all... Im not sure what the problem was but its all better now.... I had to completely restore my computer back to new... thank GOD for those two discs....  And of course I lost all my autos but oh well... but worse than that I lost all my business data... well I did back it up but now cant find the original program.... Proventure Invoices and Estimates in my computer stuff so cant get it back... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Gotta keep searching....

I have Windows XP had Nortons but stupid me didnt renew it and am thinking I had a trojan..... But went out as soon as I restored the computer and Bought Nortons Antivirus 2005... so I should be good for a while... but I must admit I have been using computers for many many moons and normally never think to run the anti virus and this isnt the first time I let it run out... but this taught me a lesson.... Me be a good girl now and keep up with the scans....   That problem seriously freaked me out... Hubby kept getting on to me about leaving computer on all the time... I swear I thought I was going nuts knowing I had shut it off and walk back in later to see it on.... so the last straw was after his billionth complaint.... ok YOU turn it off....so he did Illegially of course  we went to the mall came back and guess what it was ON!!!!   He then decided I wasnt nuts....lol    But enough of my novel .... its all better shuts off and reboots from the start menu and all is well.... Thank you all so much for your help and advice... it was greatly appreciated.....

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview