Word Whomp HD : Find 160 3-letter words this week! [Download Cheat]
Bejeweled Stars : Detonate 300 flame gems this week! [Download Cheat]

Main Menu

Dracorn the Champion Constellation

Started by Mayhem,

Previous topic - Next topic

S1lent

Greetings,
Just one day and a few hours before the new constellation starts.  I have over 56 Badges to ready to go.  I love this new POGO.  Before we just won tokens (remember the token generators) and badges...neither one of them are not worth anything.  At least we can win Gems...so we can buy Badges.  Something doesn't seem right.

Sorry for rambling...here is some info on the next constellation
S1lent

Chamaeleon constellation is located in the southern sky. It was named after a type of lizard, the chameleon. The constellation was created by the Dutch astronomer Petrus Plancius from the observations of Dutch navigators Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser and Frederick de Houtman in the 16th century.

Chamaeleon was first depicted in Johann Bayer's star atlas Uranometria in 1603. The constellation is sometimes also called the Frying Pan in Australia.

Notable deep sky objects in Chamaeleon include the planetary nebula NGC 3195, the Chamaeleon cloud complex, and the Eta Chamaeleontis Cluster. The constellation also contains Cha 110913 (or Cha 110913-773444), an astronomical object located at a distance of 163 light years from Earth, surrounded by what seems to be a protoplanetary disk. Astronomers are uncertain whether the object is a sub-brown dwarf with planets or a rogue planet with moons. Cha 110913 was discovered in 2004.

FACTS, LOCATION & MAP

Chamaeleon is the 79th largest constellation in the sky, occupying an area of only 132 square degrees. It lies in the second quadrant of the southern hemisphere (SQ2) and can be seen at latitudes between 0° and -90°.  The neighboring constellations are Apus, Carina, Mensa, Musca, Octans, and Volans.

Chamaeleon has one star with known planets and does not contain any Messier objects. The brightest star in the constellation is Alpha Chamaeleontis. Alpha Chamaeleontis is also the nearest star in Chamaeleon, located at a distance of 63.45 light years from Earth.

Chamaeleon does not have any stars brighter than magnitude 3.00 or located within 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) of Earth. There are no meteor showers associated with the constellation.

Chamaeleon contains one formally named star. The star name approved by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) is Ceibo (HD 63454).

Chamaeleon belongs to the Johann Bayer family of constellations, along with Apus, Dorado, Grus, Hydrus, Indus, Musca, Pavo, Phoenix, Tucana, and Volans.

Mayhem

Thanks! I love everything to do with space.

Now we just need all of these facts for the next constellation.
Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eyewitness.

Squid

It's shameful what i don't know about the southern sky!  TY

Stinkerbell

Thanks, Ken2! I've been binge watching all the shows about the universe. Cosmos, Cosmic Vistas, Universe.... been watching Nasa's live channel, too.

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on March 06, 2021, 06:11:39 AM
Thanks, Ken2! I've been binge watching all the shows about the universe. Cosmos, Cosmic Vistas, Universe.... been watching Nasa's live channel, too.

Another one you should watch is called "The Planets". It's my new favorite.

Stinkerbell

Quote from: Mayhem on March 08, 2021, 12:38:00 AM
Another one you should watch is called "The Planets". It's my new favorite.

What channel? Or provider?

Squid

I saw some fascinating stuff on PBS.  I may have seen THE PLANETS.  Those voyager vessels went all the way out to Pluto and then out to the Kuiper Belt, where it was probably pulverized.  Fascinating!

For Netflix watchers:  I watched "The Queen's Gambit" and loved it!  It's a limited series so it's not too much of a commitment.

Mayhem

Quote from: Stinkerbell on March 08, 2021, 07:09:16 AM
What channel? Or provider?

It's on PBS / BBC Earth. Here's what you can expect from it. It's best viewed in full screen mode.

Stinkerbell

That looks really good. We don't have cable so I assume we'd have to subscribe to this for a monthly fee.

Squid

Quote from: Stinkerbell on March 09, 2021, 06:47:10 AM
That looks really good. We don't have cable so I assume we'd have to subscribe to this for a monthly fee.
I'm not sure but you might be able to access it on your TV with an antenna or see it for a limited time on your computer.  If you're a PBS member (annual fee), you can watch all their stuff on your computer.  I think it's called "PBS Passport".

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview